Problem with measuring distance

Hi!

I have a problem with measuring distance: I need a tool which is able to accurately measure distances up to 1 meter, preferably some kind of laser rangefinder. I cannot use a tape measure because there is limited access to the place I want to measure. Do you know what type of tool should I use?

With regards, Peter.

Reply to
Piotr G. Kosinski

a steel ruler comes to mind

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

One meter? As in about 39 inches? I'd use a yard stick or metal scale that would go into the hole or whatever the laser light would follow. Mark a stick and then measure the stick.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you can put a laser range finder in the area you want to measure then you can put tape measure in there also. Make a mark on the surface where the tape measure is sitting and measure from there to one side of the enclosure. Turn the tape measure around and measure from there to the other side of the enclosure. That should get you pretty close to what you are looking for.

Reply to
badgolferman

Maybe not.

Perhaps he's trying to measure through the glass wall of a terrarium full of pit vipers. That's\d sure qualify as a place with "limited access" for me.

Dontcha' luvit it when OP's don't give a more detailed explanation of what it is they are working on...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

NASA has a laser they use to bounce light off a mirror left on the moon. They can measure the moon's distance to the quarter-inch.

I don't think it's portable, though.

For your project, you'll need a couple of things:

First, your "destination" has to be able to reflect the laser light.

Next, you need a device to measure the interval from the time the laser fires until the reflected light appears at your detector. Knowing the speed of light in air, do the math and divide by two.

Reply to
HeyBub

You can buy laser based distance measuring gizmo's of handheld size that will measure very accurately for at least a hundred feet (and less of course). We bought some at work for about $400 each.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Try a carpenters folding ruler. They will fold so that you can get them into the space. The good ones have a 6 inch slide in one end so you can slide it out and get the amount to add to the folded part. They were designed for interior measurements.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill