Problem with Intermatic T107-30 Timer - Running Slow

Hi all,

We have an old mechanical Intermatic T107-30 timer which controls our landscape lighting. In the last few weeks, the timer started acting up - it is running extremely slow.

Basically for every hour, the timer will only run ~2 minutes.

Is it worth getting this timer repaired? Does anyone know if there is a simple fix for this issue?

If not, can anyone recommend a timer which will:

  1. Control ~1000 - 1500W of lamps
  2. Sunset programming AND turn off the lamps at a fixed time (i.e. 3:00am).
  3. Multiple programs (turn on at sunset and turn on around 5:00am?).

Since this is for residential use... something cheap + reliable would be ideal ;-)

Thanks!

Reply to
Spam Catcher

I had an old Intermatic mechanical used indoors for controlling a light. When it started running slow I sprayed the internals with WD40. That was 20 years ago. Still working since but I only use it on vacations.

Reply to
Art

Typically this is caused by the bearings in the synchronous AC motor wearing out. Some suppliers stock the replacement motors.

However, if you are running a kilowatt of lighting, you are spending $100s per year on power controlled by this thing, and it would be worth it to buy something more precise in timing versus sunset. An hour a day will save you $50 per year. The Intermatic Web site will help you.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
bob kater

Richard J Kinch wrote in news:Xns989B9E0E79FB1someconundrum@216.196.97.131:

Yes, that's what we're thinking too - buying a digital timer with some more smarts in it.

I did some recalculations, we're probably closer to 600 watts, so a kilowatt was a bit of an over estimation.

In anycase, thanks everyone for their suggestion, I'll give the good old WD-40 a try :-)

Reply to
Spam Catcher

"bob kater" wrote in news:4584557e$0$4920 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Yes, I thought about that too - but I failed to mention the wiring for the box is located inside our garage. So if I were to use a photocell, I'll have to rewire.

Also, a photocell will run the lights all night? I sort of want a device that is smart enough to turn on after dark till some fixed time (i.e.

1:00am), and then turn back on around 6:00am before work till sunrise ;-)
Reply to
Spam Catcher