Problem with GE profile top loading washer

Our GE Profile washer, which is out of warranty, broke down. Specifically, in the drain cycle, the pump would pump, but it would never stop pumping and the spinning is never initiated.
It is as if it does not realize that it is done pumping. I opened it up to look, and did not find anything obvious that would suggest that the pump is obstructed, for example. (I only looked at intake side)
I called GE and the tech guy on the phone was not very helpful and said that I must get a tech out to have a look.
Well, that stuff gets expensive in a hurry and I am not sure if I wan to risk several hundred $$ of repair money, throwing good money after bad.
But if anyone could give me a hand with this washer and offer some repair ideas, let me know.
The pump has four wires, leading to just two terminals. Two wires are thicker (I suppose power) and two are thinner (I suppose for some sort of sensing).
✖
On 02/20/09 12:20 pm Ignoramus19266 wrote:

Does this have electronic controls? Perhaps the problem is not with the pump at all but with whatever module (whether electronic or electro-mechanical) that tells the pump what to do when.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖

Yep, the quality of stuff manufactured during the BUSH era has gone down a lot.
But a lot of innovation was made in the finance arena, I gotta give Bush some credit.

Would be especially cool if he forgave my mortgage.
✖
On Feb 20, 11:20 am, Ignoramus19266 <ignoramus19...@NOSPAM. 19266.invalid> wrote:

Sources like repairclinic.com are good places to start. Check archives in this NG for other sites. Good luck.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:20:57 -0600, Ignoramus19266

to stop pumping and start spinning etc.Contacts in the controller burn and stick. Last one I replaced was about a hundred bucks.
Add pictures here
✖

That could be. I will try to trace wires and determine whether there is power coming to the motor (I pretty much know the answer to this one but I want to make sure).
I called GE and, to my surprise, they do not give repair manual to "consumers". So I can buy a washer, but cannot get a repair manual, imagine that!
✖

Is this one of those newfangled washer that uses a low amount of water and keeps the clothes wet by pumping it over the top?
If it is, I had a similar problem with my whirlpool.
There is a chamber near the pump with one way valve in it. On mine, a wire from a bra worked it's down into the mechanism and blocked the ball of the one way valve.
The pump ran constantly and could never fully drain the tank.
Paul K. Dickman
Add pictures here
✖

No, the pump runs great and drains the tank, but it never stops and tank does not spin.
My friend suggested that it is due to a water level sensor malfunctioning. I do not recall seeing such a sensor anywhere, but I will look again tonight.
✖

That would be the first thing I would check. It sounds like it doesn't know the water is gone. Unfortunately mine has not failed yet so I can't tell you where to find it.

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 20, 10:07 am, Ignoramus19266 <ignoramus19...@NOSPAM. 19266.invalid> wrote:

I used to own 2 laundromats but moat of my experience with GE washers (POS!) was with ones purchased on or before 1995. What I discovered when I had the problem you describe is that there is a diaphragm controlled pressure switch which senses water level and turns the pump off when the tub is empty and enables the spin to start. Check for plugged hose or connection to bottom of tub or stuck contacts in the switch. Engineman
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 20, 10:07 am, Ignoramus19266 <ignoramus19...@NOSPAM. 19266.invalid> wrote:

Go to Google. Search for "GE washer repair help" and you will find more than you might imagine, such as:
http://www.applianceaid.com/washers.html
When I was looking for Maytag info I found tons and tons of good solid information.
Good luck.
dennis in nca
Add pictures here
✖
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

They are simple devices, and the schematics and basic troubleshooting info are nearly always taped somewhere inside the machine. They certainly were on my GE refrigerator and on my Maytag washer/dryer.
Add pictures here
✖
The last time I had such a problem, was my rather old whirlpool. The mechancial timer had dried out. I blasted it out good with brake cleaner, and then sprayed in some oil. Works fine, now. Of course, that won't help with your <snip> washer, which is probably electronic.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Well, I fixed it -- the problem was that the line to water level sensor that was obstructed -- but I would ike to buy a proper repair manual. Where can I find one?
✖
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

Did you find the paperwork that should be inside the washer?
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, it was just a schematic that would not really say enough. I would really like to get some more. Like a troubleshooting plan that would say "measure voltage from point A to point B" etc.
✖
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

How about this, Iggy? http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID $44&Acc=1&PPStack=1
--Winston
--

I\'m still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.

Add pictures here
✖

I found some a while back on eBay that were specific to manufacturers but somewhat generic when it came to specific models. I didn't buy one yet thanks to this NG and Google.

Add pictures here
✖