Problem with gas range.. oven temperature continues to rise!

I have a GE gas range that I bought just over a year ago (it is now out of warrantee). When I turned on the oven and set the temperature, I find that the temperature continues to rise way beyond the setting. I know this is happening because I have an oven thermometer in the oven that I use to make sure of the oven temperature. What is wrong with this oven and is there anything I can do? I am a very handy person and am willing to give most repairs a try.
Al
Try replacing the thermostat? Tom