Problem with gas oven burners

We just hooked up a used gas oven that someone gave us. The two back burners light right up, but the two front burners take way too long to come on. We took off the top of the range and adjusted the pilot light to a higher setting and this definitely seemed to help. However, when we put the top back on the range, the two front burners still wouldn't light up in an appropriate amount of time. It was weird. Any ideas or suggestions? This is an old model Sears Kenmore (we can't read the model number or serial number on it clearly), so don't know the exact year. We'd like to get it going but are stumped as to why the front burners seem to light up okay when the top is off but not when it is on. Why would that make a difference? Several of our handyman friends have looked at it and they are mystified. We won't be able to use it if the front burners take too long to light up because of the gas odor and the general inconvenience of waiting for the burners to light. Thanks for any help or ideas about this!

Reply to
naturesjuice

I would find a new oven with electronic ignition. Pilot lights waste a lot of money.

Reply to
Art

I estimate that the 4 pilots in my old gas range use about $20/year. Would you consider that a lot of money?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Check the side areas of each burner for small pinholes. These holes bring the gas flow and flame from the pilot into the burner. VERY often these holes clog with use from grease, etc. Open them up with a small strand of wire or a similar probe and I suspect that you will have solved the problem.

If in doubt, examine carefuly the burners that work versus the ones that don't. You will see the open pin holes on the sides of the working burners.

There should also be a pilot tube in the proper position from the pilot flame to each burner. Makes sure that the tubes aren't clogged at the non-working burners.

The top off versus top on issue may simply be due to the way the gas flows over and around the burners due to the clogged pin holes.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Look at the tubes between the pilots and the burners. They may be full of spider or insect nests, or they may be mispositioned.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Reply to
naturesjuice