Problem with Exhaust fan-Heat Light Combo

I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that when you turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on untill you turn on the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you turn on the exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the switch for the heat light.
Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some where...
"I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that when you turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on untill you turn on the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you turn on the exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the switch for the heat light. "
The one way I can think of that this would happen is if the switchs are wired in series.
Robert Bodling wrote:

Did the fan work properly before? Sounds like it's wired wrong. Either way turn off the breaker(s) and check out the wiring in the switch box. Richard
It is not a loose connection, it was wired wrong

Robert Bodling wrote:

I would not think it likely, but possible they are on different legs and have a broken neutral. That would be bad.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:28:32 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

The fan and light probably have different current requirements. A broken (common) neutral would mean that neither is receiving the proper voltage.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Better yet, do neither. Decide where you want to be, and post there.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:14:49 GMT, "Robert Bodling"

It's normal on some units for the light not to go on unless the fan is on because the fan running prevents the housing of the unit from getting too hot. But you should be able to run the fan without the light on.
I'm betting the switch is wired wrong. Hot should come into one switch. The other side that switch should go to the fan and to the second switch. The other side of the second switch goes to the heater. That way, the first switch controls the fan, and the heater won't go on unless the fan is on.
HTH,
Paul
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:25:21 -0500, Paul Franklin

Should have said "normal for the *heater* not to go on unless the fan is on"...