Problem with digital thermostat

My digital thermostat does not seem to be working. It will not click on to tell my furnace to heat the house. I have replaced the batteries and that didnt help, checked all my breakers and they are all fine. I use hot water to heat my house and i am still getting hot water so i am sure that it is probably not a problem with the furnace itself. any suggestions? it is 4am here on a sunday morning and i dont want to call in a service repairman if it is something that i could do myself and that i may not be thinking of checking. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
jhtays

You may be pretty cold by now, you don't say. Aha, Canada.

Are you awake bedause it is cold?

The quickest method: Plug the tub, remove the soap from the tub and put it by the sink, put the curtain in the tub and run the shower, letting the steam spread through the house, especially the bedroom. TURN OFF THE WATER before the tub gets too high, and make sure the faucet is not dripping after you turn it off.

Because I'm going to suggest you leave the tub full of the hot water and go to sleep, so you don't want the water running or the tub will overflow while you sleep. The hot water will continue to emit heat and more importantly some of it will evaporate, and when the humidity is higher you will feel more comfortable.

The next quickest method is to boil a big pot of water on the stove, but you will probably get sleepy before the pot evapporates, and you don't want to leave the burner on when the water is gone or you'll ruin the pot.

The most reliable method for sleeping: Get an electric blanket. Mine goes up to 9, but even 1 is hot enough most of the time and 2 the rest of the time. I can't imagine what 8 must be like.

The second most reliable. Put on a second blanket, or a third. For some reason it seems to get warm immediately, even though that's not possible.

More advice will follow from others in the morning.

P&M reply by post.

Reply to
mm

I am going to guess this one is going to call for a visit from your heating professional.

The only thing I can think of that is easy to do and may work would be to remove the batteries from the thermostat and then turn the power off to the furnace. Leave it off for say 10 minutes, then turn it back on and replace the batteries. Maybe it will start back up, maybe not. Likely not, but it is easy and safe to do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Good advice also if you have garden hose handy hook it to the drain of the water heater run it to the tub coil it in one room I thought there was something wrong with my electric blanket 3 is just way to hot Spud

Reply to
Spud

Figure out which two wires on the thermostat turn the funace on. Then connect them together. If the furnace starts, then you know it's the thermostat.

Reply to
trader4

How did you check the breaker, reset it, some dont look visably off when they blow, Check the furnace for power. Do you have a voltmeter, minehas

2 fuses,one in panel one on the unit, who knows there might be a third inside. is,it a 2 wire stat, if so jump the wires.
Reply to
m Ransley

Could be the thermostat. Could be a relay on the heater. Could be a few things. If it is a simple two wire thermostat, you can remove it, touch the two wires together and if the heater starts, it is the thermostat. If no, it is something else.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, If your furnace is newer kind, it'll show error(trouble) code. Or can you check if you have 24V AC tranny output to control the furnace?

Reply to
Tony Hwang