Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

Page 3 of 3
Mikepier wrote:

Move the entire wall of cabinets 4" to the left. More planning next time.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Genius, sheer genius.

In a similar circumstance I used 1 x 4 red oak to make a simulated floor-to-ceiling post at the corner of the doorway (using the 1 x 4s on two connecting sides so they had the appearance of a 4 x 4 post). . I then added an 8" moulding around the bottom and top of the "post" using the same type of wood (and used an ogee bit in the router to give this home-made moulding some character) which made that part of the post stick out from the wall further than did the crown molding. Then, I butted the crown molding to the post.

Not what I had envisioned when I posted my reply, glad it turned out OK..
That sounds like the best answer to me.

Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:36:22 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

This is a situation where a picture is worth a thousand words. It sounds like you want the molding belonging to the cabinets, rather than to the room?

Yes

How about a piece of 1X on the side of the cabinet that runs to the wall. The crown can die into that. The end of the 1X can be cut at about the same angle the crown makes with it (not a compound cut, leave the face square with the side of the 1X), but with a slight margin, following the profile as best you can with a few straight cuts.
If you have a scroll saw, you can leave the 1X long, trace the outline of the crown onto it at the intersection and cut. Not sure how that will look, though