Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

Page 2 of 3

I see it now. Look at pic #2 - the short point is to the wall, not the cabinet edge.
If the OP cut the short point back he can make an easier return to the wall.
Waiting for final pics...

Thats what i was thinking too. Cut the top and bottom pieces short of the wall, then do a return on both. But I'm not sure how it will look since the cabinet is going straight. But I'll cut some trial pieces and see how it looks. I'll try to post pics on that as well.

Yep, that's what I'd do, too. It's all fine and dandy to talk about reworking the doorless doorway and calculating the size and location of your cabinets based on the crown molding, but that's putting the cart before the horse. Having a nicely cut small return will look just fine and is exactly what molding and trim is supposed to do in a house - mask all the little imperfections and gaps and make it look perfect.
BTW, what beer did you have when you got home? This is tough thinking stuff, so none of that wussy beer. You need something thick and dark that you can chew on while ruminating on woodworking solutions. It's better brain food than fish.

After all this discussing,planning & thinking, I need something a little bit stronger than beer now
OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding

There ya go! I think it looks far better that way than if it were just straight and there was a long extension back to the wall. The long straight extension looks like the crown molding wanted to keep going as if it had a life of its own and wasn't married to the cabinet. It _should_ be married to the cabinet, damn it! All of this divorce and free living - it jist ain't right!

If that doesn't get you AT LEAST a batch of cookies, call the Husband Union local office immediately.

Define 'cookie'. =:O

After almost 40 someodd posts, I think that was the best solution for the return. It looks pretty good. On a sidenote, while I was cutting that return piece, the chip shield on my Makita saw broke.(This after spending $70 for a new 14" blade). I tried using it without the shield, but its impossible because not only does the wood fly out into the air, the shield was actually part of the fence, so you cant get a straight cut. Plus not to mention its dangerous. The impact left a black and blue on my thumb. Luckiliy my Bro-in-law has a saw, so I'll borrow his when I go to his house today and watch the Jets get killed.

Apparently, the power tool industry has managed to convince Lowe's & Home Despot to stop selling real mitre boxes, except for cheap piece of crap $13.00 toys from Stanely. But, for molding, a good mitre box is a real pleasure to use. Slower than a power tool, but extremely precise, and the cuts are very clean. If you're in the mood to buy yourself a nice gift, this is it:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I don't have one of the Jorgensen's, but I always thought it was a good unit, so I don't understand why it's gotten such horrible reviews on Amazon.

I don't either. Besides cutting molding, I've found it to be useful for all sorts of projects involving small pieces of wood that I wouldn't be comfortable cutting on a table saw (along with my fingers, which I'm sorta fond of).
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Until you need to take a 1/16 off of a 45 degree piece.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

In that case you should use a Lion miter trimmer. Dead accurate cuts because you're doing a rough cut with another tool and using the Lion to shave off to an exact line.

Or a shooting board...

Righty-O! aka chuting board or chute board and plane. Stanley's #51 and #52: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan7.htm
RicodJour wrote:

Or use my power miter saw and have it done in less than a second.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Nice job, Mike. Looks factory.
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:41:47 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

Looks good. What is the end view now, compared to photo 3? Better I bet.