Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

Page 1 of 3
This is going to be kind of hard to describe so bear with me. I'll try to post pics later. I recently renovated my kitchen and I started to install the crown molding on top of the cabinets.One wall has wall cabinets and the last cabinet is a 45 degree cabinet that ends with the wall . Past this wall is my DR and LR. Here is the problem. the last 45 degree cabinet ends about 1" away from the end of the wall. When I put up the crown, it sticks out past the wall. It looks good if standing in front of it in the DR, but when you look at it from the LR on the other side, all you see is this piece of crown sticking out past the wall and it looks ugly. I thought about putting a return, but it would not look right on top of the cabinet. I would basically have to cut the top molding about 3" shorter then do a return and it would not look good. The only way it looks good if I cut the end of the molding straight ( no 45 at the wall). The molding does not stick out past the wall if I do this. Obviously does not look as good as a return or a 45 , but this looks like my only choice. Anyone ever run into this before and how you dealt with it?
Mikepier wrote: ...

What about a 45 return of the crown only at the corner the length of which is simply the depth back to the cabinet (I presume) it is mounted on? All that would "stick out" would be that relatively small amount over 1" of the width of the mould.
As you say, I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly the situation...

I sort of know what you mean. Pictures would really help. Not just close-ups, but also vantage points from which you'll normally view the situation.
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:36:22 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

Kind of tough without pics, but a few ideas:
Instead of a normal 90 degree return, how about a 45 degree return that would die into the wall flush with the side wall (or 1/4 back) This would require a compound miter. The return piece would be triangle shaped. A variation of this would be to build a decorative corner block with one 90 side for the crown to die into, and one 45 side to parallel the wall.
Or, carry the crown 6 or 12 inches around the corner and do a normal return into the wall. To make this look right, you will have to build out the top front edge of the 45 cabinet with a flat piece so it ends up flush with the corner. Then the crown can continue around the corner without a notch in it. Of course, this will mean recutting the piece before the 45 since it will have to run longer to line up with the extended cabinet front.
Or, return the crown at the end of the straight row of cabinets and use a flat molding (or dentil) to trim the 45. The flat piece would die into the return on the one end and the wall on the other end. I think this might end up looking best, especially if there is another area (perhaps over sink or hood) where you can echo the treatment so it looks like a design element.
HTH,
Paul F.
Appeciate the inputs. I'll try to post some pics when I get home from work.

Listen, this whole thing about putting work above the newsgroup has gotta stop. Blow off work, go home and post some pictures. Have a celebratory cocktail when you get home in honor of not bowing down to the Man.

Unfortunately in order to pay for this new kitchen I have to bow to the man for now. But after I get home and post the pics, I'll have a beer out of my new fridge.
OK here are the pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Molding
Mikepier wrote:

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.
YMMV, Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not want to see that piece sticking out.
Mike,
I'd glue up a nice block of wood (with a decorative carving?) just next to the cabinet at 'crown molding" height and end the crown molding against the block with a straight cut. I'm not sure but I think that will mean a 45 deg. internal miter on the crown molding. Cut the molding slightly long and then sand until you get a good fit.
Dave M.

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:38:26 -0500, "David L. Martel"

Is his crown to long in photo 2? I mean the short point, extending beyond the cabinet?
Phish is on target with the crown being to long.
The photo is tricky... until one looks (like me several times).

Oren, its hard to see in the pics, but the molding is going against the wall, just like the cabinet. The end of the cabinet and the bottom of the molding line up with each other.
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:32:55 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

I really want to see how this works out, now. The pic 2 is deceptive.

Who measured the cabinets before they were ordered?

This was an oversight on my part. The cabinets fit, but I did not take into account the crown on top. You live and learn

Does the Mrs. know about this situation yet? If you handle it right, you could invent a reason for a new power tool.
on 12/15/2007 4:41 PM Mikepier said the following:

I had the exact same problem when I redid my kitchen, but I allowed for the problem before I even installed the cabinets. I have jambs and casement molding around all doorless openings. I removed the jambs and casement molding from the opening, nailed a 2x4 to the old stud to beef it out. Then re-installed the old jambs after having shortened the top jamb to fit the new opening. I filled in the gaps between the new right jamb and old 2x4 with pieces of sheetrock, then re-installed the casement molding after shortening the top pieces. In your case, you would have to remove the corner bead, beef it out, then sheetrock the opening and re-install corner beads.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

As it is now, I see the bottom piece goes too far to the right. Look at the glass panels of the 45-degree piece. Imagine this piece to extend back, ignoring the walls for just a minute, as if you are looking at a piece of furniture with 90-degree sides (such as a crowned bookcase). With that in mind, trim back the bottom piece of the crown molding support, just as if it rides on top of the right side of the imaginary cabinet. Return the bottom piece to the wall. In your case, this will be a very small piece which is glued in place. Cut the top piece of the crown to return as well. I would not glue the bottom piece until the top piece is properly fitted. This looks like a very tricky fit, so you may need to do some fussing to get it right (been there, done that!) The good part is that this is a small piece and you can afford to make a couple mistakes. Do this right--this molding is a very visible piece and likely to be there a long time for everyone to see. Plus, we are all looking forward to your posting the finished crown pictures. A close up would be nice too!

And no putty allowed! Heh. :)