Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

This is going to be kind of hard to describe so bear with me. I'll try to post pics later. I recently renovated my kitchen and I started to install the crown molding on top of the cabinets.One wall has wall cabinets and the last cabinet is a 45 degree cabinet that ends with the wall . Past this wall is my DR and LR. Here is the problem. the last 45 degree cabinet ends about 1" away from the end of the wall. When I put up the crown, it sticks out past the wall. It looks good if standing in front of it in the DR, but when you look at it from the LR on the other side, all you see is this piece of crown sticking out past the wall and it looks ugly. I thought about putting a return, but it would not look right on top of the cabinet. I would basically have to cut the top molding about 3" shorter then do a return and it would not look good. The only way it looks good if I cut the end of the molding straight ( no 45 at the wall). The molding does not stick out past the wall if I do this. Obviously does not look as good as a return or a 45 , but this looks like my only choice. Anyone ever run into this before and how you dealt with it?

Reply to
Mikepier

Mikepier wrote: ...

What about a 45 return of the crown only at the corner the length of which is simply the depth back to the cabinet (I presume) it is mounted on? All that would "stick out" would be that relatively small amount over 1" of the width of the mould.

As you say, I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly the situation...

Reply to
dpb

I sort of know what you mean. Pictures would really help. Not just close-ups, but also vantage points from which you'll normally view the situation.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Kind of tough without pics, but a few ideas:

Instead of a normal 90 degree return, how about a 45 degree return that would die into the wall flush with the side wall (or 1/4 back) This would require a compound miter. The return piece would be triangle shaped. A variation of this would be to build a decorative corner block with one 90 side for the crown to die into, and one 45 side to parallel the wall.

Or, carry the crown 6 or 12 inches around the corner and do a normal return into the wall. To make this look right, you will have to build out the top front edge of the 45 cabinet with a flat piece so it ends up flush with the corner. Then the crown can continue around the corner without a notch in it. Of course, this will mean recutting the piece before the 45 since it will have to run longer to line up with the extended cabinet front.

Or, return the crown at the end of the straight row of cabinets and use a flat molding (or dentil) to trim the 45. The flat piece would die into the return on the one end and the wall on the other end. I think this might end up looking best, especially if there is another area (perhaps over sink or hood) where you can echo the treatment so it looks like a design element.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Appeciate the inputs. I'll try to post some pics when I get home from work.

Reply to
Mikepier

Listen, this whole thing about putting work above the newsgroup has gotta stop. Blow off work, go home and post some pictures. Have a celebratory cocktail when you get home in honor of not bowing down to the Man.

RicodJour

That sounds like the best answer to me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is a situation where a picture is worth a thousand words. It sounds like you want the molding belonging to the cabinets, rather than to the room?

Reply to
Phisherman

How about a piece of 1X on the side of the cabinet that runs to the wall. The crown can die into that. The end of the 1X can be cut at about the same angle the crown makes with it (not a compound cut, leave the face square with the side of the 1X), but with a slight margin, following the profile as best you can with a few straight cuts.

If you have a scroll saw, you can leave the 1X long, trace the outline of the crown onto it at the intersection and cut. Not sure how that will look, though

Reply to
Rick

Yes

Reply to
Mikepier

Unfortunately in order to pay for this new kitchen I have to bow to the man for now. But after I get home and post the pics, I'll have a beer out of my new fridge.

Reply to
Mikepier

OK here are the pics

Mikepier

Picture 3of7 you just make a small return piece to that and your done.

YMMV, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Yeah but you will still see it from the other side wont you? I understand that's what should be done theoretically, but I did not want to see that piece sticking out.

Reply to
Mikepier

Who measured the cabinets before they were ordered?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

on 12/15/2007 4:41 PM Mikepier said the following:

I had the exact same problem when I redid my kitchen, but I allowed for the problem before I even installed the cabinets. I have jambs and casement molding around all doorless openings. I removed the jambs and casement molding from the opening, nailed a 2x4 to the old stud to beef it out. Then re-installed the old jambs after having shortened the top jamb to fit the new opening. I filled in the gaps between the new right jamb and old 2x4 with pieces of sheetrock, then re-installed the casement molding after shortening the top pieces. In your case, you would have to remove the corner bead, beef it out, then sheetrock the opening and re-install corner beads.

Reply to
willshak

As it is now, I see the bottom piece goes too far to the right. Look at the glass panels of the 45-degree piece. Imagine this piece to extend back, ignoring the walls for just a minute, as if you are looking at a piece of furniture with 90-degree sides (such as a crowned bookcase). With that in mind, trim back the bottom piece of the crown molding support, just as if it rides on top of the right side of the imaginary cabinet. Return the bottom piece to the wall. In your case, this will be a very small piece which is glued in place. Cut the top piece of the crown to return as well. I would not glue the bottom piece until the top piece is properly fitted. This looks like a very tricky fit, so you may need to do some fussing to get it right (been there, done that!) The good part is that this is a small piece and you can afford to make a couple mistakes. Do this right--this molding is a very visible piece and likely to be there a long time for everyone to see. Plus, we are all looking forward to your posting the finished crown pictures. A close up would be nice too!

Reply to
Phisherman

And no putty allowed! Heh. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I see it now. Look at pic #2 - the short point is to the wall, not the cabinet edge.

If the OP cut the short point back he can make an easier return to the wall.

Waiting for final pics...

Reply to
Oren

Move the entire wall of cabinets 4" to the left. More planning next time.

Reply to
Robert Allison