Problem with cigarette smoke

Page 5 of 6

We can agree on that much, but you seem to believe that people don't have the right to be an idiot. Unfortunately, that puts you in the position of wanting yourself jailed. Maybe...

Did you ever have sex without a condom? Did you ever have a drink, or prescription drug, and drive? It's hard to believe you never did anything stupid, idiotic or moronic.
It must be nice to be perfect. I'm happy you have no vices, you don't know what you're missing. :-)
Hank

What age is it not child abuse?
I was raised in a "smoking" enviroment. I am 64.
Hank <~~~~ only the strong survive :-)

Did you attempt to say something intelligent? You failed. Again.
On 3/6/2012 9:05 PM, Duesenberg wrote:

No
No
Hmmm--not sure about this. I'm thinking I would have seen this when the walls were open. Might have to ask the plumber about this

No.
    I rather doubt it, but--other than seeing smoke coming out, it sounds like major demolition to determine it.

Interestingly, we have some metering for several of the houses on our block with our utilities, in a locked box that Con Ed has access to. However, I generally don't smell cigarette smoke in there, so it seems unlikely.

    There is no attic. However, there is a dead space between the top floor ceiling and roof. I suppose it's possible, but also sounds like a major job to determine--and in any case the problem is primarily downstairs on the living floor.

No, the garages are not adjoining.

No central vaccuum

    This sounds possible, for sure. Again, it sounds like a big job--hope I'm not driven to this level of desperation. But while we only dug up the concrete floor on the basement level (for plumbing), it still would have been easier to check during the demolition. The renovations were pretty extensive, but it was by no means a gut renovation.     Thanks for all the suggestions--I'll certainly keep them in mind. Will pursue them if I feel we have to, but we're rather tapped out financially by now.
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Since you can't smell it, I'd try to confirm there is actually a smell. You wife's smell might be off. If she's a rabid anti-smoker, just seeing somebody smoking downwind and 100 yards away can cause her to smell cigarette smoke, You got good advice except for that omission. I'd go for positive pressure first. If that doesn't do it, the smell is old stuff that hasn't been sealed. Or in her olfactory imagination.
--Vic
I've found that in buildings that had smokers in the past, the smokers film on the wall and ceiling remains pretty much forever. What works for me, is to mix up Pine Sol and hot water, and scrub the walls and ceiling with a sponge mop. I've also used Amway Zoom (the blue window cleaner) on the TV that came from my grand mother's apartment. Simple Green will probably do fine, if you choose.
Since you can't smell it, I'd try to confirm there is actually a smell. You wife's smell might be off. If she's a rabid anti-smoker, just seeing somebody smoking downwind and 100 yards away can cause her to smell cigarette smoke, You got good advice except for that omission. I'd go for positive pressure first. If that doesn't do it, the smell is old stuff that hasn't been sealed. Or in her olfactory imagination.
--Vic
On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:48:26 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

totally eliminate smoke smell permanently you almost have to seal the surface with something like Kilz, and then repaint.
On 3/6/2012 9:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.
Many people are allergic to tobacco, but wood smoke is OK. I am one such.
Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

What symptoms do you develop when exposed to cigarette smoke?
Anaphylaxix? Hives? Overwhelming compulsion to consume badger musk?
Or do you just not like it?
On 3/7/2012 11:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:

    It seems allergy to cigarette smoke would be easy to demonstrate. There is plentiful evidence that components of cigarette smoke can be antigenic. However, most of the testing has been done with cutaneous exposure to tobacco extract (as with other allergy testing).     Here's a review for the interested:
http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/access/NNBBPT.ocr
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Stormin Mormon wrote:

What symptoms do you develop when exposed to cigarette smoke?
Anaphylaxix? Hives? Overwhelming compulsion to consume badger musk?
Or do you just not like it?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And the reason I asked is that I've met countless people, literally hundreds, who make the same claim but are lying.
It's refreshing to meet an honest person.
--
Aside:
Whenever I'm assaulted by a granny-lady trying to pummel me with her
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And the reason I asked is that I've met countless people, literally hundreds, who make the same claim but are lying.
It's refreshing to meet an honest person.
--
Aside:
Whenever I'm assaulted by a granny-lady trying to pummel me with her
On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:49:55 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Likewise. And I'd like cites on the "wood smoke contains more carcinogens than second hand smoke" claim.

On 3/29/2012 7:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How many people do you know who are stupid enough to purposely inhale large amounts of wood smoke? ^_^
TDD
On 3/7/2012 7:29 AM, Norminn wrote:

    Actually, we had fireplaces (really small Heatilator fireplace) in our apartment. We seldom used it (I would actually be surprised if it's legal to use in NYC), but others in the building did. And we frequently had strong fireplace smells coming into our apartment from elsewhere in the building. The fireplaces were very temperamental--you had to really heat up the flue before starting the fire, or the stack of cold air would push the smoke down and out into the living room.     By the way, here is a photo of the building with my apartment--with Al Pacino standing in front:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://softmorningcity.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dog-day-afternoon1.jpg&sa=X&ei=8YNXT-DeI4L30gGnuMC0Dw&ved AoQ8wc&usgQjCNFsIyfbVwJGNkKStf2fL0JpePdCZA
The building was used as the bank building in "Dog Day Afternoon". At the time it was an ink factory; it was turned into condo apartments in the late 1980s. I didn't know about the building's history until after I'd moved in in 1993. They do a lot of filming in our area, which can be a real pain. Today they're doing filming near us for the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire"--which doesn't make much sense to me because there is no boardwalk around. However, Steve Buscemi lives pretty nearby.
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
On 3/7/2012 8:55 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

my daughter lives in the west village on hudson. they're always tieing up the streets for filming.
On 3/7/2012 2:59 PM, chaniarts wrote:

They're tied up even when they're not filming.
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com