Problem with cigarette smoke

Page 3 of 6
On Mar 6, 3:03pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I used that as an example. Anything that can produce a little smoke will find the problem.
Another thought that was touched on by another poster is the range vent. When teh range vent is running, it creates a negative pressure, thereby POSSIBLY pulling air in thru the small cracks and openings from the wall.
For a 100% sure fix................ buy a house and not a apt./ condo. :-)
Hank
On 3/7/2012 5:08 AM, Hank wrote:

    Actually, it IS a house--in NYC, many houses are attached or semi-attached. Ironically, we moved from a condo apartment (we sometimes had problems with noise there, but not smoke).
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Well, since it is in NYC, all bets are off. :-)
Hank
Steven Bornfeld wrote:

It doesn't take much, and if your wife is sensitized to it, she will notice an infinitesimal amount.
Jon
Have you tried OZONE shocking the room and cabinets?
Interesting. Got a URL?
Years ago, I think it was Alpine Air. Someone I knew loaned me an ozone generator, which I ended up not buying. It was $500 for a little box with an ionizer. One of those may help clear the air.
Have you tried OZONE shocking the room and cabinets?

    Ozone can be pretty irritating. I looked at the Consumer Reports website--they specifically named a couple of ozone-generating air purifiers "not acceptable" based on ozone being an irritant, and potentially unsafe (though I think primarily a problem for people with pre-existing lung disease.
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Ozone is a strong oxidant, and a gas. That's how it destroys odors, and also why it is an irritant, especially for the lungs. If your wifeis allergic to cigarette smoke, ozone might NOT be very good for her, unless the ozone is left to react with the smoke and then immediately exhausted.
If I were you, I'd stay away from ozone.
There are only 2 solutions apart from and in addition to identify how the cigarette smoke gets into YOUR house: 1. Overpressure insideyour hopuse using really fresh air 2. An activated carbon filter at the site of entry of the smoke.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/7/2012 10:25 AM, Han wrote:

    Well, those will be tried. Certainly before we pull out the walls, floors and ceiling. ;-)
Thanks, Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Han wrote:

It's not necessary to exhaust ozone. It decomposes into plain oxygen in minutes.

Since it is a toxic oxidant and irritant, AND because his wife is rather sensitive to air borne irritants, I'd strongly suggest he doesn't let it accumulate AT ALL in his house.
Also, minutes may not be fast enough (I am used to dealing with biological compounds that decompose in seconds, but I do know from experience how strong their actions can be). You remember my rants about prostaglandins, thromboxane and aspirin.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/7/2012 12:04 PM, Han wrote:

Sorry I wasn't around for the rant. I confess I had to google "thromboxane"--my knowledge of clotting and coagulation mechanisms is woefully out of date. My brother is starting a pharma course from MIT open courseware--he's just purchased a bunch of pharma texts (and one on craniofacial syndromes--just for fun.
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

If you run a high output ozone machine for an hour, it's going to be more like one to two hours minimum before you can enter.
Greg

Shocking is done when vacant. You can let a room sit with ozone and it will cleanse itself. It dissipates quickly, but needs a final venting if not complete.
I bought a nice unit, a box with fan and one hour timer for about $130 . I think you can rent them.
Greg
Hee are some ideas:
Shared dryer vents?
Shared Stove top cooking vents?
Shared plumbing stack venting? unlikely but if there is one missing missing trap on one sink somewhere and the plumbing venting is shared then air may be able to travel...
Chimney sharing?
Light fixtures on the ceiling? check for air leaks, it's a stretch but worth a try.
Somebody mentioned electrical outlets
how about attic access doors??? silicone seal the cracks in the attic door access to stop airflow and if you ever need access back into the attic, it's easy to cut and reapply new sealant
Something between the garages?
Central vaccuum venting? or collection tank?
Air moving between the floor joists?
Quit before you get to tooth brush sharing.
Comedy aside, that's a good list to check.
Comedy back on. Steve, ask the people next door to light a couple dozen smoke bombs, so you can see where it's coming through. They won't mind.
Hee are some ideas:
Shared dryer vents?
Shared Stove top cooking vents?
Shared plumbing stack venting? unlikely but if there is one missing missing trap on one sink somewhere and the plumbing venting is shared then air may be able to travel...
Chimney sharing?
Light fixtures on the ceiling? check for air leaks, it's a stretch but worth a try.
Somebody mentioned electrical outlets
how about attic access doors??? silicone seal the cracks in the attic door access to stop airflow and if you ever need access back into the attic, it's easy to cut and reapply new sealant
Something between the garages?
Central vaccuum venting? or collection tank?
Air moving between the floor joists?

They don't even have to be shared. Anytime the dryer is running, it creates a negative pressure which sucks air in from every little crack and crevice.
Hank
On 3/7/2012 8:54 AM, Hank wrote:

Good point. In fact, last night wasn't so bad--and we didn't do any laundry. The night before we had--and the smell was far worse. Hmmmm....
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
On 3/6/2012 11:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

    Actually, if I knew the guy a little better I might even ask this. It's nutty enough that it might actually work.
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Light a few smoke bombs in your unit and when the neighbor comes running over, screaming, go see where the problems are. ;-)