Problem with B&D Jigsaw

I have an old B&D which is OK, but when cutting in a circle, it will not hold to 90 degrees with the surface. (Blade bends out or in.) Is this the saw or the blade or both? And could someone recommend a saw that will not do this *if* the saw is at fault. (If it's just the blade, I'd rather not spend for a new saw.) I do hear the Bosch 1590EVSL is very nice. Thanks for your comments! Frank

Both -- but mostly (if my experience is typical) it's the blade.
Bite the bullet and buy yourself a packet of Bosch blades, and you'll be amazed at how much better that old B&D saw will cut. They're pretty spendy, as blades go, but a lot cheaper than a new saw.

you can't beat Bosch for jigsaws. the problem with your saw is that it doesn't have blade guides like the better jigsaws have.
One more thing,one reason your blade is deflecting while cutting circles is that you aren't letting the blade cut,you're forcing it. use a sharp blade and go slower.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have a Bosch barrel handle orbital jig saw. Works very well.

Festool (mine is a Bosch).

No, you had it right in the sentence above. The blade in my old Crapsman would follow the grain in pine.

Mine is a HF clone of a Bosch 1581 (I compared it to one at Home Depot),they don't sell them any more. It's a great saw for the price. $60!
I wish I could retrofit the newer Bosch guide blocks.Those look good.
Now all HF sells for jigsaws is junk.

I got the last part from a woodworking show on PBS. Woodsmith Shop,IIRC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No,I believe B&D uses universal shank blades. Maybe you could grind off the Bosch blade T shank tabs to fit the B&D. Bosch blades are very sharp,very good quality,but T-shank.

yes.
blade guides really make a big difference.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The ones with universal shanks will fit your B&D saw, yes. The ones with T shanks won't.

Yes, it does -- including the universal shank blades made by Bosch.

You could -- but it would be a lot easier to just buy the Bosch universal shank blades to start with.

You're apparently unaware that Bosch makes both types. http://www.boschtools.com/products/accessories/pages/boschproductcategory . aspx?catid9