Problem with AC unit:Temp really hot in one room only? Help

Page 1 of 3
I have a central heating and air conditioning system in my home. I bought a digital temp probe, the ones where there is an external transmitter. This way I can monitor what the temp is in the living room and compare it to my bedroom.
The living room is on average 73.5F and my bedroom is on average 79.5F.
What is there this much difference? I've already called HVAC tech out and he had no answers.
My one room is 6F hotter than the rest of the house.
I've tried several things such as. 1. Leaving the door wide open for ours, no change 2. Putting a fan to suck air from my vent to reach the other side of the room, no change. 3. Cutting off the computer for 7 hours, no change
Can someone tell me of a way to fix this problem?
signed, sweaty and desperate
An obvious question, that still needs to be asked... BB....Do you have dampers in your duct work?.....If so, did tech check, to make sure the one leading to your BR is open? Bob Brown wrote:

Your repairman can`t figure it out? You need a real repair tech if you want to diagnose and fix it right, most likely you need to upgrade ductwork to the room, you can do other things that might help, if the run is long and airflow poor put in an inline blower, or cut down other rooms vents, but you should know the temp at the coil so the coil does not freeze.
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:39:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

What is an inline blower an where do you find them? Cost?

The tech simply used his hand to feel for equal air pressure from vent to vent. He also used a temp meter and said ALL the vents were working properly.
Bob Brown wrote:

Is the bedroom upstairs and the living room downstairs?
If so, a simple *fix* is to block the return vents downstairs. $4.18 fixed the 'upstairs to hot' in my colonial home. I put those magnetic register covers on the downstairs return vents. This forces the system to pull most of the air from the hotter upstairs. A thread a week or so ago explained that it is not a good idea to block the supply registers because of the slight possibility of freezing the coil.
Even if you have a single story home blocking the return in the living room may help the problem if all of your supply registers are working.

It's a one story home, 1500 sq ft So you're saying shut off the vents in areas BEYOND my registers?
BTW, My room is the 1st place the air goes which is why nothing makes sense to me.
So should I try the block off vent deal? How long before I know it's having an effect? thanks all

I would only suggest you try blocking off the *return* vents in the room(s) that are coolest. This would be to force the system to pull the air out of the hotter rooms. If your system only has one return vent, like in a hallway, this would not be an option to try.

You should notice a difference in a few hours if it is going to work.

thanks
Bob Brown wrote:

Your answer is a new HVAC tech. The one you had ... Well let's say he may need a refresher course.
There are three possibilities.
1. Insufficient cool air getting to your room.
Check the inflow (volume and temperature) and the return air. Could there be a problem with the duct work or maybe leaking due to bad joints or whatever. Lack of proper air return is also an issue, do you get more cool air coming in if you open the door to the room?
2. Air coming in not cool enough.
Maybe a duct going through an attic with insufficient insulation.
3. Too much heat load.
Could the room have windows getting a lot of sun, poor insulation, or over a garage etc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I have found that leaving the whole house fan on all the time (instead of auto position) on the thermostat helps keep the temperature differential down in my house by a noticable amount.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Whole house fan on with the AC? A whole house fan goes in the upstairs ceiling, draws cool air in from outside, and forces it out via the attic.
On 22 Jun 2006 09:14:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

And if you leave the fan on all the time, the outside air isn't cool during the day. You're right, Scott must mean something else.
!!! He's talking about the furnace fan. And the switch he refers to is the central thermostat.
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:36:58 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Only about .4 = .7 degrees cooler [and that's only when the sun is set[
Bob Brown wrote:

As someone else asked, is this an upstairs bedroom? Where is it in relation to the duct runs? An upstairs room at the far end of the ducting run is worse case. It's not unusual to see systems installed with inadequate ducting to the far end. And if it's upstairs and the handler is in the basement, that can be a real bitch to try to run additional ducting to.
Make sure all the dampers in the path to that room are wide open. Also, if a register on the same path serves another room, say downstairs that is cool enough, closing the downstairs register will force more cool air to go to the upstairs one. In the winter, you'd want to reverse that, or leave both open.
The inline blowers that someone mentioned are available at the home center stores. I installed one in a similar situation and it made a noticeable improvement, though it didn't entirely solve it. I also increase the venting in my attic, which helped.
They also have booster blowers that just sit over the register and get plugged into an outlet. Never tried one of those, but it's easy to try and you can take it back if it doesn;t work well.
I'd also check if there is a return in the room in question. If not and one can be added that will help. If you try the advice of closing off returns in some of the cold areas, you want to be sure there is adequate return space somewhere else. Otherwise you will be affecting the efficiency of the whole system.
In some cases, from a practical standpoint, the best solution might be a small window unit to take care of that room.
On 22 Jun 2006 09:22:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I live in a rancher
Bob Brown wrote:

And as indicated is the A/C air handler at the other side of your home?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:51:25 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

The suck-in place, where the big filter goes is just outside my bedroom door in a hallway. Is that what you meant?
Bob Brown wrote:

Only if the evaporator coils and fan is there. If that leads to the equipment somewhere else, then that somewhere else is it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Should add. If that is it, you are in luck as adjusting ducts to the room should be easy.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit