Problem Applying Latex Paint on Walls

I am having problems applying Behr Premium Plus Interior flat paint on primed drywall. I am getting bubbles and sags in the paint after I roll it on. I am used to rolling the paint on in a "W" shape, rolling again to spread the paint, and then backrolling once more - a total of three passes with the roller for each section I do. Now I have to roll each area at least one more time to smooth out the paint. After that, I have to re-roll some areas that have been down for a few minutes because the paint is sagging. Thanks for any help.
Jim
mjb920 wrote:

If the paint is sagging, you are putting on too much. What kind of roller cover? Should be short nap unless textured wall. Don't load it so full. Tiny pinpoint bubbles may appear if you are rolling an area too much, but most level out.
My experience with Behr paint is that it doesn't lay flat, the texture will be different when I roll forward to when I roll back, showing up the roller marks. While Behr is not regarded as a great paint, you should not be experiencing sagging as you are unless either the paint is defective or the surface is contaminated. I suspect it is probably contaminated with oil or grease, possibly candle wax film or evaporated oil scents or a too fresh coat of oil paint.
I would scrub a short section of unpainted wall with a TSP or detergent/ammonia water wash, with a clean water rinse and see if that area accepts paint properly once it is dry.

Next time, buy either Pratt & Lambert or Devoe. Be happy.
mjb920 wrote:

I would suspect the primer (was oil based and was it recommended for latex paint?) and or contamination of the printer's surface and or an overly heavy application of the new paint and or insufficient mixing of the new paint.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
if it's not the surface and it's not the painter it's the paint. return it they will replace it for free. check other posted advice. we've never had a bad can of behr, but there's always a first time. note to beginners: read the whole can and follow temperature directions and mix thoroughly.
The wall was primed with latex primer and I mixed the paint well. I did fail to mention in my original post that I have this horrible medical condition called laziness that has caused the paint to sit for well over a year. Behr tech support told me to try thinning it a little, and I might try a shorter nap roller.
Thanks to all of you for the help.
buffalobill wrote:

As long as the can was either new & unopened, or partially used and then closed correctly (without damaging the seal), year old paint shouldn't be a problem. You sound like you're fully functional from the neck up, so your mixing method was probably fine. But, if you're dealing with primer, you can also shake the bejeezus out of the can, being sure to invert it often.

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:41:39 GMT, Doug Kanter wrote:

Don't know about Behr paint, but I have used extremely cheap paint years after purchasing it. As you said, if it was properly closed, it should still be fine.
Mike D.