Privacy Film

I would like to put privacy film on my sliding glass doors. This stuff lets you look out but looks like a mirror to those looking in. Problem is they are each 4 feet wide and the only film I can find is 3 feet wide. Anyone know of 4 foot wide film or some other way to do it. Or has anyone been able to use 3 foot wide film successfully?

TIA

Lou

Reply to
Lou

If the glass gets sun the glass can crack from interior coatings. Research it first.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
wayne

I second that. Cracked glass is expensive.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've used Gila Films with much success(except one case, you'll read). As for the mirror products(

) I had one film fail. I applied the film in a rush, on a breezy day, while the sun was setting, on the east side of my house. Man-oh-man, and I still couldn't see a problem comming. The film becamed creased, and the crease lookes like a scratch since the material passes light better than uncreased film.

I pulled off the old film, with windex/glass plus and a razor scraper, and tried again. Worked when I took my time, on a bright day, and almost no wind. ;)

Good luck, I plan on using more of the frosted film to allow light into my bathrooms. BTW, order up the samplier from Gila, you'll get a chance to see how the films look on you windows.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

I bought a 4' x 14' roll of Gila Film at Lowe's about a month ago. Cost about $40.

Been using it on standard window glass for many years. The literature on the product indicates it should be OK for heavier glass. Better have a helper for installing that four foot width. It's very thin and needs four hands to keep it from bunching up when separating the film from its backer sheet and moving it to the glass. You might want to check the price of professional installation. It's not as easy to install as the enclosed instructions say.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Gila Film FAQ's at --

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Try Gila Films web stie: Lots of info there. BTW, such film is only mirror to the side with the light on it. So, at night, it's easy to see thru into a lit house. They aren't really mirrored.

HTH, Pop

Reply to
Pop

get spray on frosted glass paint. Easier to apply and remove

see link

This is what I bought

Reply to
me

Thanks to most that replied. I know all about Gila Films (and Lowes) - that is why I posted The mirror film is only avaiable in 3 foot width - that is why I posted . I want to be able to see out so frosted anything is a no go.

I also asked about "what to do" on the Gila site and got a response this AM that they have Platinum film which I am now investigating.

Lou "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know." --Mark Twain

Reply to
Lou

Sure its expensive but Tempered glass should not crack under those conditions.

Reply to
PipeDown