privacy fence

which is better - steel posts or pressure treated wood posts?

Steel
Chuck wrote:

Bah! Rust. Paint. Upkeep.
Wolmanized. Spray with Thompson's every 5 years. Vertical surfaces = little or no water penetration, even if totally untreated.
vinail coated wood

precast concrete, but avail only thru installers :-(

If you want a concrete post, you can make your own. It's not freaking rocket science.

I was wondering myself if rebar is used, or maybe fiberglass?

Well, when the DoD put in the jet fuel pipeline to BNAS, (now NASB, for some reason) they used 4 chunks of what looks like #2 rebar, and made square, slightly tapered monoliths shaped like the washington monument, about 6' tall, and planted them about 30" deep. Those have lasted longer than I've been alive, with only some spalling where they whack them with a batwing mower. Depending on relative costs, I'd do that, or use a cylinder of hardware cloth.
How long do you want the fence to last? How sturdy are the steel posts? I would go with treated wood myself.
Also remember that unless the privacy fence is 10 feet high, it only hides the criminals from pubic view. Your choice.
ADC wrote:

steel is much more forgiving of a bad installation and will ultimately last the longest, but properly done the wood will last a long time. make sure you put a point at the top of the posts so water can drain off. if you leave it flat it will greatly shorten the life of the posts.
randy

ADC wrote:

Define exactly what "better" means to you. It is a very personal term.
Wood is "better" at some things steel at others. Quality (another of those personal terms) ranges of both produces means some steel will be "better" than some other steel as will wood.
I suggest you consider that most residential fencing today is wood. I suggest you check your local codes and deed restrictions and you may find that you must use wood.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Assuming you're referring to galvanized steel posts, the steel will last longer. If left unpainted, they generally detract from the warmth and effect of a wood privacy fence.
Wood posts will last a lot longer if they're set in holes and backfilled with fine gravel, rather than the soil excavated from the same hole, or concrete. Every fence post I've replaced rotted at the base where it meets the ground.
Consider this....get the vertical posts that are use with chain link fencing, they don't rust and the metal is soft enough to run a self tapping screw into. Set these posts in concrete, then wrap(attach with screws) the posts with a 2x4 on opposite sides where the fencing will be and a 1x6 on the face side. Attach your continuous fencing to the 2x4. This will give you the look of a wood post but the life of metal. Have built fences with wood posts set in concrete and also the way i just described. My next fence will again use the wrapped metal posts. period. my $.02.........bob

Fully agree. Metal is much better. I have never set at PT 4x4 post that didn't rot out in about 10 years.
Harry K