Priming the Water Pump

Page 2 of 2
(spamersarevile) says...

Put a foot valve on the suction, or it will ALL run back into the lake. T a ball valve into the line next to the foot valve if you need to drain the line for the winter.

There are self-priming pumps that will suck air until the water gets there. I don't know how long they run, they are designed to self-prime at a very low head, and need water in the pump to do their thing.
When I was a kid, we used to prime an irrigation pump with a hand suction pump. We would just pump like crazy for a few minutes, then kick the pump on when the water got there. It had a 6" suction on it, so we were moving a lot of air. It was a diaphragm pump.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

spamersarevile wrote:

Option one- put a check valve in the pond on the end of the suction line and only prime the pump once. Option 2- make a hand pump to suck the air out as you mentioned and draw the water up.