primer for re-painting old plaster?

Page 3 of 3
| The plaster was | cracked and separating from the lath in places, so I drove in some drywall | screws to secure it.
One note: There are stainless steel disks available, usually called ceiling washers or ceiling buttons. They get attached to lath or stud with a drywall screw and have holes in them for plaster/compound to go through. Putting those over loose areas works much better than screws alone, which will often just drive right through.
On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 8:52:26 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

There are plastic plaster washers as well as steel.
http://www.oldhouseonline.com/patch-plaster-walls/
It seems like they have lots of names:
Ceiling buttons Plaster buttons Plaster washers

I would have opted for the washers if I had some available at the time, but it was a last minute repair before we started painting. I had the screws with me, so I carefully drove several around the loose areas which seemed to snug everything up nicely. Not ideal, but it hasn't cracked or pulled away in the last 10+ years.