primer for oil based paint

Hi all I,m painting fiberglass door I have oil based paint Do I need oil based primer
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:21:21 -0700, ypylaw1 wrote:

That's the usual way it's done. Water over oil is ok but oil over water is a no-no.
Hugh Jassolle wrote:

He's not MIXING oil and water....either primer, properly cured, gives a dry surface on which to apply paint or wallpaper. Provided the primer is suitable for fiberglass, there should be no problem. For an exterior door, oil might be a more durable finish. Just read the labels.
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:43:09 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

The new third generation latex, as well as water born pre-catalyzed urethanes are more durable than just about ANY oil based paint.

Nope.
I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer I've ever used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil- or water-based finish.
--
Tegger

I would NOT use an oil based paint on a fiberglass door. And mine came pre-primed.
On 9/6/2010 6:36 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Why not, and what would you use?
Seems to me oil-based primer is going to stick to just about anything as well as any paint can.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

best primer is a solvent thinned epoxy, then a phenolic primer, then an 'oil based primer', then a water based primer.... water based epoxy primer probably right up there with solvent thinned epoxy primer......
-- only the worst stuff available at the box stores.
paul
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:21:12 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Why not oil based? Because good acrylic latex actually stands up better - and if you are going to use higher end paint - like automotive paint, the water born pre-catalysed urethanes are better than air dry enamel and less fuss than acrylic laquer or acrylic enamel.- and every bit as good on fiberglass.
ypylaw1 wrote:

Not necessarily; all you need is a primer listed to be compatible w/ the paint. There are latex primers that are so rated as well; it depends entirely on the top coat's published requirements.

That is not correct.
What he needs is a primer that is suitable for use on fiberglass, and a paint that is suitable for use with that primer.