Price sound right?

I agreed to have a central air system replacement for $6500. I did not shop around, so I don't know if this is reasonable or not. It's for a Ruud, 14 Seer, and it is the unit outside and the unit in the attic being replaced. Please someone tell me if it is in the right price range.

Reply to
Rita

For what? A 14 SEER what? Heat pump? AC with furnace? what tonnage? if its a heat pump, whats the HSPF?

Give you a hint...we installed 2 14SEER, 2.5 ton heat pumps, and the total price was not over 9500...that included air handlers. You tell me. Is the price you are being quoted too much? Hell, I cant see it from here, and you dont give near enough information to tell you.

Reply to
CBhVAC:)

Cart before the horse here.

Get THREE quotes. Then pick the contractor you have the most faith in to do a good job. Price comes second. Basic idea is most brands are equal and its the installation that matters most. Rudd is fine.

As for price no one here can see your system and the work involved. Nor do you give any useful info to make a completely useless guess.

Reply to
GETCOOL-MARK

$6,500?? I don't know where you are from, but in our area, that is pretty outrageous, assuming it's a replacement and assuming it's not a heat pump. Do you currently have hot water heat?

You don't give much informationa and again, I'm assuming it's a replacement.

The condensor unit (which sits outside) is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,800 (found that online). That should include a bit of a markup. I wasn't able to find the blower unit price online, which goes in the attic, but it's probably a bit cheaper than the condensor. For the sake of argument, let's say it's $2,000 (undoubtedly high, but that will give him some more markup). That puts you at $3,800 for the major parts. If they run a new line set (maybe not necessary), put down a new pad for the condensor, do some plenum work and work on the condensate drain, let's say the parts for that are $1,000 (again, high probably).

If it's a replacement, the ductwork and stat ought to be there already. Maybe they were going to replace some of that too.

But your at roughly $4,800.00 in parts (I think that's high, at least in our area). That leaves about $1,800 for labor. It will probably take 16-20 man hours, so you divide that by $1,800 and you get $90-112/hour. That's kinda high in my area. Plus I think I was pretty generous on the prices for other stuff.

I'm guessing some of the HVAC guys will start throwing rotten vegetables at me if I'm wrong, but I'm just throwing out some stuff and guessing at some numbers. Someone probably has better figures. But that sure seems high to me.

Good luck with your project!

Reply to
Amuzed2death

You should have 3 days to cancel a contract, do so and get some bids and a load calculation done.

Reply to
m Ransley