Price of R22

Page 1 of 2
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for R22 these days? Figure residential central air and sold / installed by a professional, licensed tech on a service call. Service call & labor charged separately. I'm sure it's gone way up in recent years.
Big Giant Head wrote:

Saw something on TeeVee the other day , IIRC it's around 40-50 bucks a pound .
--
Snag

On 6/19/2016 7:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:

It was way up, but it has come down now that new units are not using it. Most of what is available has been recovered. I'll let you know once we get the bill from our service company.They are charging our R-22 system tomorrow.
IIC, it was $60+ a few years ago and is now closer to $40 to $50.
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBLOCKhotmail.com says...

It migh not be the actual cost of the R22. Last year I had a service call that turned out to be a bad capacitor. For a less than $ 50 capacitor ( allowing a fair markup) it cost me about $ 350 for the service call. The service man was here just long enough to take a cover off the unit, look at the capacitor, go to his truck and get one. Almost no time to find and replace the bad capacitor.
On 6/19/2016 8:25 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

They don't even bother to fake it anymore.
On 6/19/2016 11:53 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Knowledge. Parts. Tools. Skills.
Some times, the parts is the smallest section of the final bill. One tradesman I used to know said one time "if they could do the job, they would do it them selves and never call you. You can do the job, they can't. And you have to charge accordingly."
On 6/19/2016 9:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I never said they should only bill for the cost of the capacitor. But why stop at $350 for a 5 minute service call. Why not $1350?
Taxed and Spent wrote:

How much time did it actually take, incluiding driving to & from the customer? You have a tech who being paid all day, a truck, and a lot of parts in that truck, plus what I presume is hefty insurance, especially liability.
$350 sounds steep but it's clear they can't just charge 5 minutes and expect to stay in business. I have no idea what the going rate is as I've not had a tech out in a while. I had a bad condensing unit cap several years ago but I was able to take care of that myself by picking one up at Grainger the next day. Similarly a stuck contactor one time.
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBLOCKhotmail.com says...

I did not go into the whole story. When I called about the heatpump I was told it would be a $ 89 service call to find out what was wrong. Reasonable to me. In probably 10 minuits he had found the bad capacitor and replaced it, maybe not that long. Then came the shocker.. We were talking while he was working and I told him I worked on many electrical and other things at work. He asked me what I thought the capacitor would cost to replace it and I guessed $ 50 knowing that was way high just to get one at the parts store.
He showed me a chart of the standard company repair charges and that capacitor was in the $ 350 level. Funny thing about the level of charges was that he said he could give it a 'spring tuneup' for $ 100 that included cleaning the coils inside and outside. It took him much longer to do that. I had him to do that so I could see how it was done. I learned a lot from that.
I got on ebay and ordered a capacitor and a relay that may go bad at sometime so I can replace them myself the next time. The total cost was less than $ 30 for both of them.
On 6/20/2016 7:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have a lady friend who lives in a more expensive town a couple over. She hates it when she calls a service guy or contractor, and the first thing they ask is "what city do you live in?" She gets charged more because of where she lives - not distance, but house prices.
Taxed and Spent wrote:

You could put a positive slant on it and say they are giving a discount to those less able to pay!
"Big Giant Head" wrote in message
Taxed and Spent wrote:

You could put a positive slant on it and say they are giving a discount to those less able to pay!
That could be truth however it also known fact, that different town have different user tax laws! State and city taxes are base where the work was perform and not where the service company is located.
On 6/20/2016 10:01 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Flea-bay? Really? For a few dollars more you could have bought a quality "Made in USA" cap from Amazon.
Buzz N. Sizzler wrote:

How do you know the one he bought isn't a quality made in USA part ?
--
Snag

On 06/20/2016 07:14 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Everybody and their brother is a big-time importer/seller on ebay. How would a buyer know if the item was genuine or a cheap china knock-off?
snipped-for-privacy@null.net says...

Just because something comes from ebay does not mean it could not be made in the US. Buying form Amazon does not mean it is made in the US either. I looked and this particular one came from Mexico. Amazon has the same brand.
It does not make any difference where an item is made, but what company makes it and how it is made.
I buy a lot of things by mail. Some from Amazon, ebay, and the beter known and not so beter known supply houses. It just depends on where the best price is for the item I want.
When someone says 'quality made in the US" I think of all the pieces of junk cars made in the US or designed by the companies in the US even though most are made in another country now. Switched over to the Jap cars around 1981 and been happy with them. I did buy a new Ford in the late 90's and that turned into a bad mistake. Got rid of it at about 30,000 miles. First thing to go was the inition switch. Never had one of those to go out on any other car in my life. Another car (Dodge) only made it to about 20,000 before I got rid of it. That thing had a habit of not starting for some reason. The dealer could not find the problem after around 10 trips back to them. An uncle bought one similar to that and he was always having some problem with his.

This brought a smile to my face as I look at my recently washed and waxed 1995 Ford Thunderbird with 94,000 miles sitting in the garage. I purchased it new in June of 1995 to replace my 10 year old 1985 Ford Thunderbird that had 234,000 miles on the odometer. I sold the '85 to a new driver who totaled it in two months time.
Steve
On 6/20/2016 6:16 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

That sure is a deep, philisophical question. I don't have the answer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/19/2016 11:25 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

One time, I paid $91 for a twenty minute job, changing a master brake cylinder on my van. "we just flat rated it out."
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/19/2016 05:28 PM, Big Giant Head wrote:

Who is "they"? Amazon?