price of potassium choloride for water softner

Does anyone know why the price of potassium choloride is approx $18/40 lb bag? I bought it 6 months ago and it was about $8/40 lb bag.

tia, chris

Reply to
Chris

First of all what are you doing with that chemical

Reply to
Old and Grunpy

Some people use potassium choloride because water softeners put a small amount of salt in the water. If you're on a low-sodium diet it's supposed to be helpful.

You can use either but salt is cheaper.

To OP: Maybe the price of fuel? Seems to be making everything go up. My suggestion is to shop around and for the best deal and buy the store out.

When I get my salt at Costco I get $400 lbs at a time.

olddog

Reply to
olddog

If you're using potassium chloride because of the sodium in the water you could get a reverse osmosis water filter to remove the salt from the drinking/cooking water. It's got to be cheaper in the long run. If you're using soft water through a water filter you don't have to change the filters as often.

I put in an RO system and it wasn't that difficult. Costco sells them.

olddog

Reply to
olddog

  • 400 lbs * eh..you know what I meant.

olddog

Reply to
olddog

It's used in making fertilizers and the demand (especially China) has been growing.

Reply to
Erma1ina

How many years does 400 lbs. service your softener?

Reply to
Twice Retired

I'm not really sure. Over a year and under 2 years. I just checked it and it needs salt.

I wasn't getting it serviced like it should be and the o rings were leaking causing it to use more salt. So I'm not positive how much I use. A lot depends on how much water you use and if you use soft water to fill your pool, water your yard, wash your car etc...

I filled it about 4 or 5 months ago and it needs about 75lbs now.

Costco is the place to get salt here. They sell it in 40lb bags and at the same price the grocery stores here sell 25lb bags.

Reply to
retired53

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

Reply to
Chris

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

My wife has been using softener water, salt re-generation, for the past 14 years with no problems with her flower garden or veggie garden. The amount of residual salt from a softener is less than normal water content. Check with your water supply company for normal saline content.

Reply to
Twice Retired

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

If you dumped the backwash it would but the amount of salt actually in the water is infinitesimal. The salt is used in the regeneration, not the normal flow mode.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

i've never heard of that but you should be able to bypass your system anyway.

olddog

Reply to
retired53

You can't use water softened with salt on orchids.

Reply to
alva36

Probably best to put the system on bypass when watering any plants due to the cost of salt and the fact there is some salt in the water.

I've been watering my indoor plants with soft water without any problems except my African violet died. I thought it was from improper watering but it could of been the soften water.

olddog

Reply to
olddog