price of AAA alkaline

Page 7 of 7
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 8:40:27 PM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

While serving in the USCG, I spent a year on the end of a finger spit known as Port Clarence, AK. It should be roughly in the center of this link.
https://www.google.com/maps/@65.4334836,-166.683659,8.44z
(Little Diomede Island in the upper left is in AK, Big Diomede, just 2.25 miles away from Little Diomede, is in Russia.)
Many a night was spent lying on the beaches of either Port Clarence Bay or the Bering Strait (on either side of the spit) watching the northern lights dance in the sky. Trust me, "city lights" weren't an issue. Here is a picture of 5 buildings that made up the entire 40 man station.
http://www.loran-history.info/port_clarence/PortClarence1000FT.JPG
All we had to do was walk away from the drift wood bonfire, crack a beer, lie back and watch the show. The downside was that if you were away from the fire and you didn't drink your beer fast enough, it would freeze.

Lucky... That must have been an awesome experience.
I hope we can see the aurora again someday, though it would be nice to view them from a different location. There's not a lot do see in Fairbanks.

Well, "city" is a relative term in Alaska. :)
Fairbanks didn't produce much light polution to start with. It was just so light out in early April that we were grasping for anything that would be even slightly darker.
We were also staying in a rental that was in the forest, so we drove to the mountain top to get out of the trees for a clear view of the sky.

It was -20 the week before we arrived, but we had daytime temps in the 50's during our visit. It was actually warmer in Fairbanks than it was back home. :)
Spring break-up meant lots of muddy rutted roads. Sure glad we rented a 4 wheel drive SUV.
On 6/5/2016 10:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So, how expensive were AAA alkalines there?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 8:20:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't know because the USCG supplied all of the batteries we needed.
My guess is they were probably in the hundreds of dollars *each* due to the typically favorable terms of most government contracts as well as the mil-spec requirements.
Here is the 1988 Military Standard entitled:
Batteries, Non-Rechargable, Selection and Use Of"
http://everyspec.com/MIL-STD/MIL-STD-1800-1999/download.php?spec=MIL-STD-1860.008656.pdf
On 6/6/2016 9:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

They list D, C, AA, and 9volt. No listing for AAA on that document. Non standard, you see.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 11:19:31 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

AAA not be in the standard but their use is covered in 4.1(a) and 4.2.1. The very fact that the spec allows for approval of non-standard batteries by the "contracting agency" just about guarantees that the price will outside the range that most people would consider reasonable.
On 6/6/2016 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I guess there is civillian logic, and military logic.
Reminds me of a readers digest story. The military had a flight training simulator. Which stopped working at some point. The one intelligent future flyer noticed on the back of the simulator was a fuse holder. Look, and find a fuse had gone bad. On the home, the recruit stopped by electronics store, and bought a pack of fuses. Put in a fuse the next day, and the machine came back to life. The Sargeant in charge spent the usual generous ammount of time hollering at the recurit for not using Milspec fuse. But the recruit notes that the fuse stayed in, and the flight training resuemed while using the non MILSPEC fuse.
That is all. All units are ordered to carry on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/06/2016 06:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

In case you ever need some milspec duct tape:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
...and you won't find that at Harbor Fright ;-)
On 06/05/2016 01:57 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

When I was in Youngtown, kids were playing in a deep dry riverbed. They had been warned to get out fast if they see clouds. That riverbed could fill up fast.
That was in about 1974. Today, parents might not allow kids to go into that riverbed, calling it too dangerous.

[snip]

At the time I wrote about the "NOT dry" heat here, it was abnormally cool and pleasant because of the rain.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/5/2016 1:28 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The area is crisscrossed by "washes" (dry river/stream/creek beds). You can walk across them (some being a sizeable fraction of a mile to cross!). Or *drive* across them! (some of our roads have omitted the cost of bridges -- at the expense of being unpassable when it rains!)
~20 years ago, one of the largest washes was flooded -- as if a LARGE RIVER! Took a sizeable piece of property away with it (eroding the "bank").
It is a relatively common occurrence for someone to get swept away in these "water events" (don't always qualify as "flash floods"). And, motorists often need to be rescued for attempting to cross these areas ("It's only a few inches deep! What's the problem??").
[If you need to be rescued for failing to heed the warning signs for such a place, you are fined as a "stupid motorist"]
On 06/03/2016 11:54 PM, HerHusband wrote:

At home, I try to keep a flashlight in a known location (2 flashlights are better, in case one doesn't work). It's also easy to find since it's next to the cable phone adapter (with battery and it's on a UPS).

I have an old UPS that won't put out much current, so it's no good for a PC. However, it DOES work with a string of LED holiday lights, so it's an emergency light as well as a hall light ("lilly's lights" named after a small cat that slept in the hall).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I used Eneloops for a few years before a basement flood took out my 2 chargers. Thought they were the cat's meow. Replaced them with Sony Cycle Energy chargers and batteries, and now with 5 years experience using the Sony's I won't go back to Eneloops. The Sony's might cost a bit more, but I've had no failures. Some of the Eneloops failed after a while - wouldn't take a charge. Been using the same batteries for 5 years in remotes, mice, clocks and Maglites. And they seem to last longer on a charge. Of course that might just be my perceptions.
'Micky[_3_ Wrote: > ;3571053']Why are AAA alkaline batteries as expensive as AA, per > battery? I've > gotten AA as low as 20 cents a piece, but I don't need AA. I need AAA > and shouldn't they be cheaper since they're smaller. > > Do people with little hands get paid more?
I think, the difference in price depends upon the manufacturer - they based it on the supply and demand of AA and AAA.
--
NicholasMeleeMan

On 6/4/2016 11:34 PM, NicholasMeleeMan wrote:

the AA was a 40 pack while the AAA was a 34 pack.

The presumptive Republication presidential candidate seems to be doing pretty well... so maybe "yes".... -)
--
Pete Cresswell