price of AAA alkaline

More specifically, LEDs need to be current limited, usually with a series resistor. In some cases (like the HF lights) this is accomplished using the internal resistance of the battery. I've seen the same with the little coin-cell keychain lights (the battery is stuck between the LED leads, the switch is a little bit of plastic that holds one of the leads away from th battery).

The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I have a friend who frequently goes to dark places (while walking dogs), and often loses stuff (including keys). That is one reason I need to carry a flashlight.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Our utilities are below grade so seldom affected. Our last outage was a distribution transformer for the neighborhood catching fire. Before that, IIRC, a fire in a cable vault.

In 20+ years, I think we've lost power 3 or 4 times. (lost natural gas supply once -- THAT was interesting!)

Most of my kit hides under things -- under dressers, tables, beds, etc. And, most of the time, this is "just fine" (TmReg).

But, on those occasions when you need to plug/unplug a cable or needs to survey the contents of a box (without moving it as it's tethered to ), a light is essential. OTOH, you're only using it for a few seconds so even the crappiest "batteries" will last a long time!

Reply to
Don Y

Shouldn't your *friend* be the one carrying the flashlight??

Reply to
Don Y

Mentioned time I was in internal bathroom off locker room at local PAL. Someone shut off the light and I would have been lost without the little light. You don't expect problems like this during the day.

Reply to
Frank

Our electric is on poles, the wires weave through miles of half-dead maple trees. Consequently, every summer we get a thunderstorm or two that takes out power for 2-5 days. Before power company deregulation, we almost *never* had power outages...and when it did go out, the outage lasted less than 6 hours. The idiots that passed the power deregulation laws ought to be electrocuted!

Reply to
Tax Payer

Similar situation. Ours is underground but before it goes to our street it is above ground with lots of trees. That's why I bought a generator and had a transfer panel put in several years ago.

I've complained to the power company many times about their not keeping up the access trimming but even after they do it we could still lose it in a bad storm. Last one blew a big tree down that not only took down wires but took down a pole.

My system is too small to handle the whole house. I was mainly interested in furnace, well and freezer. Newer systems can handle the whole house by proper managing although not everything can be on at once.

I have to bring in gasoline but if we had natural gas I would use that as fuel source.

Reply to
Frank

Yah, we got hundreds of companies trying to sell us electric power but not one helps put the lines back up after a storm.

Reply to
Bill M Moore, Esq.

Lithium is lower voltage than 3 AA or AAA alkalines so the current will be less and the light output moderately less. Doesn't matter how "stiff" the battery is as long as the output voltage is low enough that the LED does not draw too much current.

3 aaa alkalines top out at about 4.5 volts. Lithiums are 3.7 nominal

- freshly charhes possibly as much as 4.2 for a very short time

Reply to
clare

Stormy's not as smart has he likes to let on some times - Like we often say in business - just smart enough to be dangerous

Reply to
clare

I put all of "my" lines underground, but the power company's cables are all on poles.

We typically lose power a few times each winter, usually due to wind storms blowing trees onto power lines. Occasionally ice will take down a line, or someone will take out a pole with their car.

Most outages only last a few hours, but once we had an outage that lasted a day and a half.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

My keys are usually sitting on my dresser when I'm at home. When the power goes off I'm usually on the other side of the house. A key ring light would be of little use for me.

I have emergency lights plugged in various places around the house. When the power goes out they come on automatically making it easy to navigate through the house to get my other lights.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

When I lived in the midwest, everything was overhead. I could count on an outage in my neighborhood every month or two. A drunk taking out a pole; an ice-laden branch falling on the wires; high winds; etc.

We've had so few, here, that they come as a real "surprise"!

Reply to
Don Y

Simple Definition of diode

: an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in one direction only

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For about two bucks, you can buy a flashlight for your friend to use. You stay home and be comfortable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Once in a while, a small light sure is handy.

Glad you made it out okay, we'd miss you here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Helps when Derby explains what your rambling meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you want to be helpless in the dark, that's fine. If you want to leave your keys across the house, that's your choice. If you want to list the various reasons why you can't carry a flash light, that's your choice.

I find a flash light on keys, or in pocket (and then in hand) far more useful.

As for me, I prefer to recognize a good idea and find ways TO carry a flash light.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don,

We occasionally get what I call "annoyance" outages. That's when the power blips off for a minute or two before coming on again. Just long enough to screw up all the clocks in the house, annoying. :)

Thankfully, most of our clocks are battery operated now, and the UPS for my computer sails right through those.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I'm not helpless in the dark, that's what the emergency lights are for.

They provide light for my wife and daughter too if I'm out of the house, or sitting on the throne when the power goes out. :)

Power outages are a rare thing. I don't want a big ring of 15+ keys in my pocket all day for that rare situation. When I get home, the keys, wallet, watch, change, etc. all get unloaded. I'm not packing that stuff around any longer than I have to.

These days it seems most people have grown a smart phone as another appendage. These would make a serviceable flashlight in an emergency.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband