price of AAA alkaline

I used Eneloops for a few years before a basement flood took out my 2 chargers. Thought they were the cat's meow. Replaced them with Sony Cycle Energy chargers and batteries, and now with 5 years experience using the Sony's I won't go back to Eneloops. The Sony's might cost a bit more, but I've had no failures. Some of the Eneloops failed after a while - wouldn't take a charge. Been using the same batteries for 5 years in remotes, mice, clocks and Maglites. And they seem to last longer on a charge. Of course that might just be my perceptions.

Reply to
Vic Smith

IIUC, that's really bad with incandescent flashlights. Maybe not so bad with LEDs?

Someone claims: "While rechargeable batteries are ideal for many applications, the classic "alkaline" battery is still a superior solution for devices that do not have a high current draw, that are usually off, or that need to provide full power for longer periods of time, such as remote controls, flashlights, and electronic toys. "

They have those?

Basement Office Bar?

I've trained a monkey to crank a medium-sized generator so I have the monkey carrry the generator with me. (monkeys are strong and have a lot of endurance.)

Reply to
Micky

I have one of those. When they were really cheap I bought 4 and gave them to friends, but I didn't have it when I needed it for some reason. It was kept somewhere when the flashlight was right on the shelf or the table or in the drawer.

Reply to
Micky

Hmm. Didn't know that. I may try that, some time. Mix and match, see which last longest.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that Energizer Lithium AA cells are very long shelf life.

My own experience is that I've had leakers in nearly every brand. Energizer, Duracell, Rayovac, Harbor Freight. All in the last few years.

Just guessing, Eneloops aren't that long life. Yet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I'd figure the amp hour load would be even. Still, the actual results is that the other three cells light a flash light bulb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bug Out Bag.

Does the monkey maintain charge after ten years in a zip up carry bag?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sigh. Not there when you needed it. I hate it when that happens.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ahh... That makes more sense. For some reason I kept thinking "Battery Operated Boyfriend" everytime I read that. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I don't know if they would last a year, but I haven't noticed any significant decline in storage. I charge them up when they go dead, then they sit in my desk drawer for several months before I use them again.

If your flashlight is a low power LED type, I would think the eneloops would still have enough power to run the light for a while.

A rechargeable "emergency light" might be a better option. They plug into a wall socket so they're always fully charged when the lights go out.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I do have one or two of those crank lights. Styled a lot like the old Star Trek palm phasers. I suspect the internal batteries are button size NiCd cells. I'd like some day to drill a hole through the case. Unsolder the NiCd, and wire to an external three AA cell battery holder. Then, I can use loose NiMH or NiCd cells, AA size. Fun some day project.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have three of them. They are a night light until the power goes out when they light on full power. Nice to have when the lights go out so I can get to the battery LED lanterns.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We had several of these and they ended up just cooking their (NiCd) batteries. It's possible to put a *smart* charger in such a device but too much price pressure tends to result in stupid chargers that don't know how to float a battery for the long haul.

Reply to
Don Y

I purchased four of the emergency lights several years ago. One died completely after a couple years. A second one seems to have stopped charging (never shows the green charged light anymore), but it still lights up when the power goes out. The other two still work fine.

Still, they weren't that expensive and are handy to have when the power goes out. Beats fumbling in the dark to find flashlights and candles.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

We just have a fair number of lights in places that are easily accessed. E.g., there's a crank light or one of those dinky HF LED lights on each end table, I have a pair of the HF lights hanging under my work table (mainly so I can view the kit located underneath), another of the HF "floodlights" clipped (magnetic) to the underside of the network switch fastened to the underside of one of my work benches, 3D maglites clipped to the walls by the main doorways, another HF light hanging by the entrance to the garage (so I can see under the car or under the hood without having to go fetch a flashlight), etc.

As outages are a rare event, here, the lights see more use in daylight (to see into normally darkened areas).

The cylindrical HF lights looked to be ideal candidates to retrofit

18670 Li batteries. But, they seem to be too large to fit in the place of the 3 AAA's.

(there's probably another Li cell that WOULD fit but the 18670's are just so damn common and relatively easy to "rescue")

Reply to
Don Y

LED lights with coin cells are small enough to put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small light on your keys, or some where you have it near you all the time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The HF lights are unregulated. with AAA cells, there is a limit how much current the cells can deliver. Lithium may over current, and blow the bulbs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have no concept of Ohm's Law...possibly *you* should be on Lithium?

Reply to
bob_villain

Finally. Thank you.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway
[snip]

I remember the last 3 (more than an hour or two) outages here and they were about 8 years apart.

BTW, during the last outage (from the tornado) wired phone service was out too but my cell phone (Verizon wireless) was OK.

That reminds me of when I was working behind a relative's console TV (this was before LCD so it was really big). Light was dim back there but barely adequate.

She decided to turn on a nearby lamp and dim became BLACK.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd