Prewiring alarm for a new house

Page 3 of 7

Hmm. Seems we read the prior statement differently. :^)

Kind of puts a hole in the "more likely to kill you kid or his friends" argument, though. I haven't been able to find a statistic for people killed by their own gun, yet, but I suspect that the number is vanishingly small.

True, but people are injured by all sorts of odd things, including stairs, bathtubs, and bowling balls and ball-point pens. I can't get this Microsoft peice of crap to launch Acrobat Reader for some reason, so at the moment, I can't get at the CDC statistics, but the bottom line is that guns simply aren't particularly dangerous _to_their_owners_, and what danger there is goes down dramatically with the application of a little common sense.
And anyone who tells you different is underinformed, dishonest, or both.
--Goedjn

How many drownings does it take to bring back any of the dead shooting victims?

How many shootings does it take to bring back any of the dead drowning victims?
Aegis wrote

Donno, but Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than any of my guns. js

He has better aim?

how many shootings does it take to bring back any of the dead drowning victims?
How many accidental knife related injuries were there? Should we ban all knives?
How many twisted ankles were there? Should we ban walking?
--
be safe.
flip

Dogs aren't the be-all and end-all of home security, but homes with dogs (large or small) tend to get burglarized much less often than homes without dogs. All other things being equal, it's preferable to a thief to break into a house without a dog compared to a house with a dog.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

Neither are alarms.

And very few crims are stupid enough to try it with a large dog like an Alsatian.

Which might just be why its an extremely effective alternative to an alarm system.
Generally all you need to do is get the crim to decide that one of the neighbour's houses is an easier/safer target.
There arent many crims stupid enough to try stealing a car with an Alsatian inside either.

A good alarm system coupled with an armed-response security patrol is pretty good, though.

We don't have Alsatians in the US. We have to make do with German Shepherds.
Mary Shafer (American shepherd)
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
Mary Shafer wrote:

Alarm company will do it for free gladly. Or go wireless. That's what they did when I had my house built. Tony
Tony, When you get a free pre-wire, you are not getting anything more than the minimum. It takes us a minimum of 3 days and sometimes as long as 5 days to properly pre-wire a new house. If someone is going to commit to that much time, they can not do it for free. Many companies will wire the doors, keypad, siren, phone and power, but that is just a small portion of what should be protected and provided for in a pre-wire. Allan Waghalter
wrote

wrote

Sure, tho its distinctly arguable if its worth paying for the armed-response security patrol if the dog is left inside the house when the owners are not home.

Yes you do. Its just another way of naming them.

No you dont.

wrote

No they'll just taser the dog and he'll fear humans from then on, I've seen that happen with a Malmut
wrote

Not if he's inside they house they cant.

Wouldnt happen with mine. Mine did get run over by one of the neighbour's cars, came around the side of the house looking pretty hyped up. It was never very clear exactly what happened to him, no one saw what happened. He was one for chasing cars.
Hilarious watching him whenever that particular car went down the street after that, he was determined to kill it.

Doesnt work with a breed thats got real balls.
Rod Speed wrote

Well, now I'm sure of it. You are not only a fool, you're a damned fool. js

Even you should be able to bullshit your way out of your predicament better than that pathetic effort, fool.
Rod Speed wrote:

What happens when you go on vacation or away for a long weekend and have the dog cared for elsewhere?
Or are you the type who leaves his dog at home all alone for extended periods and have someone stop by once a day to walk and feed it?

If the dog is in the car, who is detering the thieves at your house?

wrote

I dont, I get someone to check on the dog in my house.

Yep, and there is no need to walk it for that length of time.
No need to feed it either. I use the big 20lb paper sacks of dried dog food, just slash the sack, leave it lying on the floor and let the dog help himself as required. And I do that even when home.
The dog just needs to be able to get out of the house for a piss and a crap once a day, in the yard which he uses when I am not away. I choose to not let him get out there by himself, just because thats a bit of a risk with neighbours kids coming over the fence for their ball etc.

Like I said originally, thats one obvious downside.
I never claimed its a perfect approach, just pointed out the stupiditys in what was posted at the top.
Apr 2004 09:35:24 +1000,

*stupidities* dumb arse