Prewiring alarm for a new house

Page 1 of 7
I am building a new house, and as an almost afterthought, I want to install prewiring for an alarm system. I am thinking of just prewiring the system for now, and purchase the system/subscription later. The drywall is not up, so this should be reasonably easy to do.
System wise, I don't want to commit to a particular system/vendor yet, and I want flexibility of choosing from different provider later. I assume that all the wires are compatible amongst the many different systems (ie, the three wires for power, ground, and signal, same gauge requirements, etc)? If not, what should I look for?
What can I expect to pay for this? How do I spot a good installer? What questions do I ask? How many sensors should I install (I am thinking all the doors, all the windows, fire, water, smoke, low O2 (is there such thing), what else am I missing?)?
Thanks.
John Smith wrote:

Sorry, I don't get the logic. You're trying to prepare for a universal compatibility that you don't even know exists, and for no other reason than not wanting to commit to a service provider???

Well, you know what happens when you do that...

So many questions, and the only answer is with another one: WHY?
Pick a damned security company and let them wire the place.
Do you REALLY think somebody will come in and guarantee the workmanship of their installation using your existing wiring?
If you were planning on doing this yourself, I could maybe see some logic here, but you're talking about getting some contractor who DOESN'T do this everyday (the installers from the security company DO) and paying them to do it, and you have no clue as to what they should charge you?
Yikes.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

Had a similar situation where the builder did the prewire and we added an alarm system about a year later. Found out too late that the wire to one window was shorted ouit (nail, who knows?) and so one window will never trip.
By the way - there are good alarm systems that can be installed that do NOT require any kind of subscription or contract. Find a company that is willing to install one of those and do not get coerced into signing a multi-year contract.
Sir, just another comment. I regularly install professional alarms in homes that are pre wired. In most cases, everything works out well and I am able to offer the homeowner a discount on his alarm system, since most of my work is done. However, it is fairly common that drywallers or other trades will damage a wire (and it's usually one that goes to a window that is difficult to retrofit). About the only thing you can do is check all wires in the quad to see if you have one usable pair, or go wireless on that one window.
As for your comments about finding a progressive company that doesn't lock you into a multi year contract, I couldn't agree more. There is absolutely NOTHING in a long term contract that benefits the consumer other than the obvious benefit of being able to defer payment of your alarm system over many months. But if you pay for it at a fair market price up front, then you should be able to get your ongoing services for a more reasonable price without a long term commitment on your part.
R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada www.homemetal.com
"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <73115 dot 1041 at compuserve dot com> wrote in message wrote:

alarm
was
NOT
willing to

contract.

Now, why didn't I think of that? Thank you...
John, there are companies around that specialize in pre wiring homes. They usually sell their services to building contractors, so you might want to talk to one of your local builders to see who they use. Around here, they charge the builders from $250 to $500 to do a complete pre wire including, all doors, all ground floor and basement windows, a couple of motions, a couple of keypad locations, and a smoke on the upper floor.
Time to do it is when the doors and windows are installed but there is no drywall or insulation up. This usually gives you a window of about a week to get it done. Have him run loops into the attic for future additions on the second floor. I also have a bit more detail on my website if you care to go there..
R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada www.homemetal.com

Sigh.
Read the thread about messed up programming. You're sure to create unrest with such questions...
Apparent rules here. 1. You're an idiot if you don't install systems for a living. 2. Don't ask what something means. You don't need to know. 3. If something goes wrong it's your fault. Call the installer to fix it. 4. Anything else, refer to #1.
Other than that, do some research, do the work yourself, and have it done right the first time. :)
John Smith wrote:

You don't need prewiring the house. if you are use German Shepherd

Do a cost analysis. Cost of Dog, plus training, plus food, plus vet bills, plus increased insurance due to having a 'scary' dog- may be cheaper to get robbed once in a while. (Not to mention the hours pissed away walking and cleaning up after the thing.)
aem sends....
His knowledge better for dog
wrote>> You don't need prewiring the house. if you are use German Shepherd> Do a cost analysis.
Dont need to.

Cheaper than the alarm system.

Dont need any with that breed.

Cheap than a monitoring service.

No need.

Nope.
Which will certainly reduce your medical expenses.

Dont need to do that either.
040425 2146 - ameijers posted:

...or the possibility of the dog attacking a neighbor and getting sued out of your socks...
says...

If you want a dog to deter break-ins, you don't need to have a big and scary one to get the job done. Even small dogs reduce the chances of a break-in - even if they can't bite effectively, they can still make a lot of noise.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

You are a fool if you think a dog is the answer to your security needs. Same goes for a gun. I just love it when some idiot says "alarm? My .357 is the only protection I need." js

Half the time they wind up shooting themselves or their kid shoots a playmate. The other half of the time the thief takes the gun away and shoots them with it.
"Robert L. Bass" wrote:

Right.
According to the CDC, there were 802 unintentional firearms deaths in 2001, nationwide. By contrast, there were 3,923 drownings.

43,987 deaths by motor vehicles... ban those THEN talk to me about banning guns.

Who said anything about banning guns?

Noone. It was kind of a rhetorical ... statement(?).

I believe in gun control. People should control their guns. To me that means they should lock them up when they're not directly controlling them. Other than that I couldn't care less is you have 150 guns in your house.