Preventing paint from freezing in garage

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm finishing my basement and will have to permanently move my collection o f paint, joint compound etc, from (the climate controlled) basement storage into the unheated stand-alone garage. To give an idea of amount, it's cur rently stored on a very full 3ft wide x 5ft tall bookshelf in the basement. I'll certainly get rid of the junk, but most is useful.
What do folks typically do to keep their paint and equipment from freezing in an unheated garage... without risking starting a fire?
Thanks Theodore
On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 13:18:55 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Most paint is water based LATEX these days. There is NO risk of starting a fire!
Oil based paints are not supposed to freeze, but I did once leave a gallon of oil based exterior paint in my unheated tool shed over winter and in spring it was useless. (I never understood this). But even an oil base paint should not be a fire risk as long as the lid is tight on the can.
You have little choice but to bring it indoors where there is heat! Just dont put the oil based paints on top of your furnace or water heater.

I recall reading a "tip" a number of years ago that might solve this very problem. Author of the tip suggested that you take an old worn out, non-working, refrigerator or, better yet, an upright freezer and install a 40w bulb in a protective globe (you know what I mean, the socket and bulb are within a glass jar and maybe that is protected by a wire cage - at least, you get the idea of protecting it) and simply load the shelves with your paints, varnish, etc. and during the cold weather turn on the light. Supposedly that single bulb will be enough to keep the interior temperature above freezing.

And risk a fire from the bulb. Does not sound workable. I can't think of any answer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/21/2015 2:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Perhaps because you didn't read the entire suggestion?
"...install a 40w bulb in a protective globe" (to lessen the risk of breakage and so if it DOES break, it won't set fire to those steel containers<g>
Also, can anyone tell us the three elements necessary to sustain a fire?
Okay, an easy one then... why are there laws requiring the removal of doors from discarded refrigerators and freezers?

Yep, risk of fire. So, this doesn't meet the OP list of criterion.
I've heard those French made Criterion vehicles don't start well in unheated garages in winter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

When I took some fire protection courses, there were FOUR elements.
Removing doors makes it easier for the trashers.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No, it prevents kids, hobos, and others from suffocating in them. That is why it is LAW.
The 4 elements?
fuel, oxygen, ignition source and what else????
On 12/21/2015 10:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sustained chemical reaction.
Which is why dry chem extinguishers work. They interfere with the reaction.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/22/2015 7:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The three elements are heat, fuel, and oxygen. Many things won't burn below certain temperature, called the flash point.
This is why camp fire builders use ignition, tinder, kindling, and then fire wood.
It's also why flash point temperature is listed for many chemicals.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 7:35:47 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Kindling? Who needs kindling?
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20151105_171705_zps9ojfvuwi.jpg
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:13:29 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Raising hand, jumping up and down screaming "I know, I know! It's fuel, heat and... give me a second, I'll get it. Oh, oh, oxygen!"

Um, to keep future Democrats from suffocating themselves. What does this have to do with fire? Oh, I get it now. Never mind.
On 12/21/2015 4:57 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

They grow up and become arsonists.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 3:13:33 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

It's all about the children.
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:02:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon

We did that to keep welding rods dry. If using for paint you would want a thermostat to shut off the light when it got too warm. (Mabee a thermocube inside the fridge)
On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:39:44 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote :

Hi, I'm the OP. I'm in the Northeast, so my uninsulated detached garage ha s no guarantee to remain above freezing during a brutal winter. Thermocube sounds interesting. I'm still very wary of rigging a low-grade heater and plugging it in and leaving it unattended for weeks/months while it gently warms a closet or container or old fridge full of somewhat volatile chemica ls (i.e. paints), but I think what most folks are saying is my choice is ei ther this, or find SOMEWHERE ELSE in the basement.

Useful for what? Paint isn't *that* expensive that you've got a sizeable "investment" tucked away, there.

Capture paint swatches from each sample (assuming they are custom colors) and write the name/brand/formulation of each on the back for future reference. Go to store and have something compatible tinted when you next need it. "Store" the dollars required to purchase it in the bank...
On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 8:04:22 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

of

elf

l.

ing

Who needs Tupperware...it can't be *that* expensive to make a fresh meal or go-out to eat? (⊙_◎)
On 12/21/2015 12:05 PM, bob_villain wrote: ...

Paint certainly isn't _in_expensive any longer...last gallon of "inexpensive" exterior latex I bought was over $30 and that was a "store brand". The paint bill for the barn was >$8K; don't think I'll be tossing the rest before we finally get around to finishing it up (and that was w/ a decent discount from one of the box outlets a number of years ago; would probably be 50% more now, at least).

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

ble

You are misquoting...this is from DonY! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯