Preventing leaks in toy balls using Fix a Flat

[This is a cross post from rec.toys.misc]

Hi Everyone,

About three years ago I purchased a large Franklin 16" Grip-Rite 500 Playground Ball from K-Mart. It lasted a long while, but eventually went flat because of a slight leak.

While at Discount (Advanced) Auto parts store I purchased a bottle of Fix a Flat and was able to repair the leak buy injecting it into the ball using an glue syringe I purchased at West Marine boating supply store. The glue syringe is all plastic, and the tip of it is narrow enough to fit into the ball's air valve.

The ball was about 3/4 full of air when I added the Fix a Flat. I added the Fix a Flat and shook the ball after each injection. I stopped adding the Fix a Flat when I could hear it splashing around inside, all together about 10 one ounce injections of Fix a Flat. I then added enough air to inflate the ball and the Fix a Flat appears to be working.

Hope this tip helps others, Keller Beyer

Reply to
BeyerIII

You should know that most brands of the "Fix-A-Flat" type stuff contain anti-freeze. Don't let pets chew on it.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

If the leak is from a pet chewing on it that will sort of prevent future leaks also. :D (kidding!)

Reply to
ryeish

all the balls that we bought at kmart and walmart were thrown out when the kids grew up.. if they leaked then we threw them out.. buying a can of fix a flat and the syringe would just be a waste of money..... but thanks anyway for the info....

Reply to
jim