Preventing laminate chipping

Places where the laminate is about to chip off can be easily predicted with a close inspection - you can see a bit uneven edge of a seam, with tiny pieces of coating peeling off. If you slide your foot in a sock over the seam, the sock will catch a piece of coating, and a tiny chip may break lose (that's the chipping I mentioned in another post).

I was wondering if rubbing something like sealant into the seem may make it smoother, and perevent further problems.

Reply to
Ikon

Sounds like a pretty poor quality-controlled product. If there are protruding areas on the corners, as thin as they would have to be and as brittle, there's no way you'll keep them from getting knocked off eventually.

Your best chance to minimize the effect might be to take a 4-in-hand and smooth the edges of each piece prior to laying it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I had 3 or 4 of those (two boards) when I put my floor down, and it was definitely caused by me (not quite getting the tapping block in the right place). If he didn't use a tapping block then it was caused by the installer not getting the board correctly aligned when snapping them together. I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent those places from chipping. Possibly by putting some of the repair color on as it is suppose to dry hard.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That's probably the case. I may try to convince him to redo the work, but he claims that the boards are aligned Ok - though one can feel the seams, he says that the difference is very small. I am wondering how to determine if the boards misaligned out of spec ?

Reply to
Ikon