Preventing Early Wood Shake Wear

I made my annual roof crawl last weekend and replaced 100 or so cedar shakes.
I noticed that as these shakes age, the surface exposed to direct rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.
I'm thinking about taking some clear coat and going along, spraying a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.
Anyone ever run across something like this?
On 1/7/2016 9:04 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Make up your mind! Do you have a shake roof or a shingle roof?
Paul

cedar shakes.

rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.

a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.

Shake roof. Although lately I've had to use shingles for patching due to shakes being hard to find.

cedar shakes.

rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.

a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.

Did you have any constructive comments to add about this?