Preventing drill bit slippage

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the slightest catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It uses the old screw thing to tighten.
I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any other ideas?
John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new bit.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Who woulda thought... :-)

Problem solved. I asked a friend and he told me to just grind a little bit off three sides of the shank of the masonry bit. I did; it ground like butter. And when the bit grabbed the material, it threw me against the wall. Success!
John
Good thing to remember. Thanks for the field report.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus