Preventing drill bit slippage

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the slightest catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It uses the old screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any other ideas?

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news:WsOdnaELHY3HEI_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new bit.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9A8BE89B3B395jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.86:

Who woulda thought... :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Problem solved. I asked a friend and he told me to just grind a little bit off three sides of the shank of the masonry bit. I did; it ground like butter. And when the bit grabbed the material, it threw me against the wall. Success!

John

Reply to
John

Good thing to remember. Thanks for the field report.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon