Preventing Birds From Making Nests in Potted Plants and Baskets

We have a potted plant by our front door as well as a wicker basket where we store some gardening gloves, behind the little hedge in this picture:

This year we've had three different birds make nests, two in a potted plant one in the wicker basket. It's kind of a pain when they do this because we can't get too near them to get stuff.

Besides relocating the plant and basket is there anything we can do to discourage them from nesting here?

I did put up a sign

but I'm not sure how effective it will be. Clearly the birds are tweeting each other about the good location for a nest.

Reply to
sms

.410 gauge

Reply to
notbob

You can't do anything to harass the birds, or destroy the nests unless the birds are house sparrows, aka English sparrows, or starlings, or more recently Eurasian collard doves. All others are protected by federal law and probably state law.

Now that you have alerted the NSA with your posting, they will be monitoring your home to see what type of bird terrorist you are.

I put up plastic streamers to keep the house finches from nesting in the patio roof framing. Also stuffed bubble wrap in the locations where they might nest.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

This is true, but I don't think that putting up a sign, or doing things to discourage nests from being built in the first place, is illegal.

It's a bad place for nests because a cat could easily get to the nests. They used to build nests on the cross beam that supports the roof over the porch area which was a better place because it would have been difficult for a cat to get up there.

The streamers are a good idea. I was thinking about pinwheels.

Reply to
sms

The pinwheels also make noise, so might be a good deterrent.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

You need to use fowl language in the sign.

Reply to
IGot2P

Definitely good for a couple of chuckles on my part. How about providing attractive alternate housing nearby??

Reply to
hrhofmann