Prevent Plumbing Escutcheons From Rusting

Are there any tricks to preventing the $3 plumbing pipe escutcheons from the BORG from rusting after 2 months?
There is nothing more annoying than doing a nice paint job on a bathroom, only to have the escutheon covering the toilet water supply rust.
I tried using shellac, and it only bought me about a month.
Would polyurethane or spray lacquer work?
I don't really want to invest any more than $3 on a simple thing, and I don't understand why they make this crap so cheaply. Bathrooms are _supposed_ to be moist.
Perry Aynum wrote:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html
On 8/12/2009 8:44 AM Tony spake thus:

Hey, I learned a new term from that site: "smitty plate". But not sure what exactly that is: a plate to cover up plumbing boo-boos?

Primarily used when you go from an old 3 handle system to a newer 1 or 2 handle system.
You use them when replacing tiles is not an option.

buy one that's chromed brass, or even better, stainless steel.
Chromed steel will rust, unless it's excellent chrome, and you're not going to get excellent chrome for $3, you're going to get crappy flash chrome.
nate

My point was (directed at "Smitty, who seems to have a personality disorder) , why bother selling something if you know it will quickly turn to crap, and replacing it is not very convenient - you have to turn off the main water supply and remove the valve. I might as well wipe my ass with $3.
A local plumbing supply recommended white plastic for $.23 each. Sounds like the way to go.

Hey I like the plastic idea if I can find them. Gave me an idea, though. I can turn an escutchen in about 10 minutes on my lathe, no need to buy anything.

because for the mfgr. to sell them, they don't have to look good after they've been in your bathroom under the toilet for a year; they only have to look good in the blister pack.
Sucks, but that's the way it is. Too many people buy on price and don't bother to ask "is this steel or brass?"
nate
Perry Aynum wrote:

You want cheap stuff but somehow it should be good?

since when did HD start charging $3 for thpse piece of crap plated steel ones? lats year I bouht some for ~$1
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/D-O-Smith-10132-Standard-Suregrip-Flanges-Chrome-Plated-Brass-5-8-O-D-for-1-2-CWT -(50-Pack)/58916/Cat/862
unfortunately gotta buy a pack of 50 but onlly a bit more than $1 each with shipping
My buddy & I got a pack and they're decent.
cheers Bob
Perry Aynum wrote:

Paint them the same color as the wall. Lotsa coats.