prevent electrical plug from wobbling loose?

Bob did send a nice picture showing a quad outlet in exactly the wrong location for a hairdressing work station. Professional hand held blow dryers and other torture implements have robust cords and plugs on them and work well if the cords and plugs aren't put in a strain at the wrong angle. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Moe Gasser" "The Daring Dufas" snipped-for-privacy@stinky-finger.net Veterans of International Fart Wars

Just like Superman and Clark Kent, they always seem to be in the same threads:

I detect a whiff of a stinky sock puppet obsessed with farting. Are you that desperate to win, Dufe, that you have to generate fake personalities to give you "attaboys?" That would be sad.

That's a great way to determine if the plug is out of specs or the outlet is worn. But once you know that we're still talking about a female hairdresser and I can't think of a single one I've known that could swap an outlet. Not if their lives depended on it.

Hardly. You've learned that a brand new outlet can hold that plug for now, but just like the "spread the prongs trick" you don't know how long it will stay that way. The whole point to buying GOOD outlets when doing the initial wiring is that they'll stay tighter, longer. But this isn't an initial wire and in fact is a fairly unusual situation.

But let's say you're right. How does the outlet fly from the store shelf and into the workstation in 5 seconds? That's the big problem with rewire solutions proposed here. A hairdresser is asking this question and she's not likely to do the work or even have it done without approval.

Alternate scenario: She goes to that same store, picks up a three-way grounded outlet extender with childproof shutters or even the typical "hammer the plug in because it's so tight" molded extension cord. She brings it to the salon and plugs it in. Pretty simple, very low cost and likely to do the job quite well. I don't think even the vastly experienced Sir Dufas could swap an outlet out in 5 seconds.

And some people can't understand how to read a simple question and so they offer help that's not appropriate to the circumstances.

This wasn't a homeowner asking the question, it was (a friend of) the employee of a commercial business who seems appropriately reluctant to offer her expertise as a master electrician to her boss. At least not without proof the outlet is bad and represents a safety hazard.

She is not very likely going to be replacing any outlets in a shop she doesn't own with skills she likely does not have. Recommending that she does so is pretty useless compared to some of the excellent, very inexpensive and easy-to-implement solutions others have put forth.

You do get credit for suggesting she test the clipper plug in a "known good" outlet. That's the least that needs to be done before suggesting her boss engage in an expensive rewiring job.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've never seen a worn out plug. Seen plenty of worn out recepticles.

.

You're kidding, right? You've never seen a worn plug that was loose in a receptacle? Dimples worn down, the split prong type flattened, etc? Never?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He got a long term discussion, for his troubles.

.

What the hell happened to our OP, "Bob," anyway? I seem to remember him asking for a long term solution.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Increase the capacitance, until it hertz? That's frequently the answer, though usually met with resistance. Here's your sine! (Chris waves.....)

Did Bob ever go to the hair dresser place, and replace that socket?

.

Sounds like you're having problem on a quantum level where the atoms in the substrate are migrating across boundaries and shorting things out or it could be a classic case of a malfunctioning framistan. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about just use a light weight extension cord from the wall to the cutter power cord. Allow the extension cord to lie on the floor thus removing the "pull" from the wall socket.

Reply to
CRNG

Yes, I saw that drawing. Whoever did that could have replaced all the outlets in the joint in the time it took to make that.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Sorry Bobby, the only Moe I know is one of The Three Stooges. Now me and one of my brothers share the same Internet connection via a long range wireless link and our IP range is the same but he doesn't go by the handle "Moe" either but keep trying, it's entertaining. The only thing Moe and me may have common is that he/she/it may also be an old fart born in the middle of the last century. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've seen worn/broken plugs where the two layer blades may corrode and one of the metal prongs separates. I often take a knife or small screw driver and slip it between the metal layers of the prongs and expand them which will give it a tighter grip inside the outlet. Bending the prongs to make it tighter in the outlet can often break the prongs on the inside of the molded plug. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I completely rewired a very large beauty shop back in the 1990's installing a 400 amp 3 phase main including power for a 10 ton AC for the place. I didn't skimp on electrical outlets for anything. All 120 volt receptacles were spec grade just shy of hospital grade unless it was an outlet that was plug cycled constantly. The work station outlets were high up and within easy reach so no device cords were ever in any strain. The place has never had any electrical problems due to inadequate wiring or materials. I build them to stay working. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

re: "All 120 volt receptacles were spec grade just shy of hospital grade unless it was an outlet that was plug cycled constantly."

How did you determine which receptacles were going to be "plug cycled constantly"? I hope you didn't trust the customer. ;-)

What did you use in those locations?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Communication with the owner to determine the use the electrical outlets would be subjected to. 20 amp hospital grade were installed wherever the hairdressers would be plugging and unplugging constantly. In the business, it's known as planing and design. The shop had more than a dozen stationary hair dryers with chairs, those got good 20 amp outlets as did workstation outlets for things that would stay plugged in. The heavy duty hospital grade were the high ones that were in constant use by the operators. My favorite was the guy who wore dresses and looked like Little Richard. He, er it, whatever, called everyone "honey" and all the ladies loved him. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And every time some tourist had his wallet stolen, Carl Malden showed up hawking American Express travelers checks.

Does that mean Carl Malden was a pickpocket?

Reply to
Moe Gasser

Well, that settles it then. If you've never seen a worn out plug, it must be the receptacle.

We can close this thread now.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Second. Will the Sargeant at arms pose the question?

.

We can close this thread now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hey Moe (Curly voice), Bobby Green thinks me and you are the same people because we both fart. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's so ironic because oddly enough that's EXACTLY what you did NOT do here. Communicate with the owner. You were answering a question posed by an employee. Did you take work orders from lower level employees on all those rewire jobs you've bragged about? Probably not. You probably talked to the person who would be signing your check - the very person who's NOT in this loop. Hope your other "planing" demonstrates more attention to detail.

You didn't even ask the OP a single question about what might be in her power to do or even suggest. You didn't try to find out whether every outlet was a problem or just one outlet at one workstation. Instead, you made a *very* expensive recommendation without really considering the specific facts put forth by the OP or even attempting to do any troubleshooting whatsoever.

We've all seen workmen like that who say: "Replace EVERYTHING!" If this is the way you work, I wouldn't hire you. You've proposed an expensive solution for someone ill-equipped to implement it. If a vastly cheaper solution works for this employee, and it sounds like it would, then why rewire the entire salon? I suspect if it were a salon-wide problem, the OP might have said something like "it happens to all the other stylists, too. The plugs won't stay in anywhere!" For all we know, she's stepping on the clipper cord and just putting a loop or two in the cord could fix the problem by keeping it off the floor.

Dufe, your overkill "rewire it all" proposal qualifies you for a job with FEMA. They're the undisputed champions of providing expensive solutions that are often totally unworkable because they failed to do a proper analysis of the customer's needs.

Apply today! (-"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Oh Bobby, I'm so glad you're such an expert. The owner and her husband were involved in the project every step of the way since she, the owner is one of the hairdressers. Try to stick to subjects you actually know something about instead of putting your P.L.L.C.F. slant on everything. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Whooosh!

I believe that went right over your head, Stormy. He was being ironic. I'll explain. You seem to be implying that because *you* have never seen a bad plug that *no* such plug exists and so the case is closed. I disagree. Both DD and I have seen such plugs.

You have never seen the Angel Moroni, I would assume. Does that mean he, like the bad plug you've never seen, doesn't exist?

See the logical inconsistency in your positions?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I do 0603s and 0402s regularly but, thankfully, we don't use 0201s. Yet. Some are pushing for it but manufacturing has been stiff-arming, so far.

It's usually the most effective way. Feedback makes some troubleshooting next to impossible.

Reply to
krw