pressure washers/sprayers

I just bought a 2.5 gpm x 2700 psi pressure washer; I got the cheapest one I could find with a decent pump. It has a Comet AXD pump and a Honda GC190 engine. (Too bad it's not the GS series engine, but then it would probably cost quite a bit more.) <http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeIdi70&productId 0241274&R 0241274>
The 5HP washer that looks just like it was also on sale at the store even though it's not on sale in the catalog, but it has a Comet VXD pump that looked cheap and not very durable.
The salesguy at Northern who was telling me how to set it up said, "BTW, you gotta bring it inside for the winter if your shop or garage is not heated." I asked about draining it and blowing it out with compressed air, and he said that's not good enough, it could still have just a little water in the manifold or cylinders and ruin the pump if it freezes.
OK, I can do that, but I'm not too keen on the idea of bringing a gasoline engine in the house and storing it in the basement by the gas water heater.
How hard is it to remove the pump? More importantly, how hard is it to reinstall the pump? It looks like just 4 easy-to-reach bolts and the pump will slide right off, but how is it coupled to the motor shaft and how hard is it to line everything back up again?
Thanks, and best regards, Bob
If you are really worried, let it suck up some antifreeze and shut it down. JR Dweller in the cellar
zxcvbob wrote:

<http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeIdi70&productId 0241274&R 0241274>

~Roy~ wrote:

[snip]
Thanks. BTW, that RV antifreeze is good down to about -50 and is generally regarded as being nontoxic. It sometimes drops down to about -30 here, but it never got that cold this year.
Bob
I seen a squeeze bottle at Menards that screws on to the inlet side of the pump, they sell them where the power washers are, you could fill it with RV anti Freeze and fill the pump with it.The bottle came with a lubrication additive in the bottle for the pump.
Tom

I just will run mine dry on gas, I do use it in the middle of winter to clean the cars so the antifreeze thing won't work for me. I just put a little gas to do what I need and run it dry. I have had no fumes.

<http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeIdi70&productId 0241274&R 0241274>

I have yet to have a problem with the method I use to store mine. I take a short piece of hose that fits on where you hook up the water hose to, and pour in some anti freeze, pull the recoil a few times until it pumps it into the pump and though the discharge pressure line. When you get anti freeze coming out there is no reason it will freeze at least not down to what the anti freeze is rated to.........
I just disconnect the pressure hose and drain it. It onbly takes a couple of minutes ot get anti freeze though the pump, so I use mine all year round and once again afater use in cold weather run more anti freeze though it. I know others that uyse windshild washer anti freeze with equal results, but that would depend on just how cold your area gets.
Wash it off after filling with anti freeze just in case you have a dog or cat that likes to lick on anti freeze spills!
wrote:

=============================================Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
zxcvbob wrote:

<http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeIdi70&productId 0241274&R 0241274>

It's a lot easier to drain the gasoline and run the carb dry. That should eliminate any fumes.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
zxcvbob wrote: ...

You just made me even happier that I bought the electric one I have. Just carry it down to the basement in the fall and back to the garage in the spring. Never any problems starting it either.
For the record, it works great for my needs, but it would be a little to a lot underpowered for many needs.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It\'s Irish Math
Two things come to mind.
1) Just run the engine dry of gas, there should only be a couple ounces left. If it's still a concern, leave the gascap off for a couple days to let the rest dry out. Or suck the gas out with a turkey baster.
2) Gasoline is hell on rubber products -- don't store gasoline near rubber tires.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus