Pressure Washer Question

Page 2 of 2

Scott wrote:

Another thought:
I'm going to apply some Sikkens Cedar Stain (which has aa little pigment) to the newly cleaned section to see if it brings back the original, natural look.
I had a contractor scrub and bleach the deck by hand a year and a half ago, and it looked great after I re-stained it. Any idea why a year later, the deck floor and rail top turned dingy grey? Note: There are oak trees overhanding part of the deck and sunshine hitting it directly until early afternoon.
Thanks! Scott
alt.home.repair:

I actually left of the smiley on my first reply. Of course there are other options to get a non-gray deck. An on-line search will find you any number of clean-up systems that include a cleaner, brightener, and sealer. You spray on the cleaner, let it work, and pressure-wash it off. Then you put on the brightener, which is probably oxalic acid, let it work, and pressure-wash it off. Finally, you put on the sealer. The sealer can be either transparent or colored. You'll still have some hint of gray, though.
If you want the deck to STAY non-gray, you'll have to repeat the process every two years at least. UV light is most of what causes the graying.
The only way to get rid of the gray completely is to remove the top surface of the wood. If you want to use a sander, rent a big one. Cylindrical models designed for hardwood floors would work well, but you have to make sure all the nails and screws are well below the surface first.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I noticed an end of season sales at the local Lowes store 1450 psi electric pressure washer for 51.00 dollars or close to it Sounds a little too weak but a good price sorry don't remember the brand
--
"Non sibi sed patriae"

My belt sander does a quick job on everything it can reach. IIRC, I used 60 grit belts.
On paint, the belts coat up quickly, but on stain or bare wood, it works great. Even a fast orbital sander would work, but slower.
Bob