Pressure washer question

My gas pressure washer manual states that I must have a water source that provides at least 5 gallons per minute of water to operate the washer properly. My outlet using a 5/8" hose provides about 6 gallons per minute and the pressure washer works fine.
Is there any advantages in terms of the effectiveness of the pressure washer if I use a 3/4" hose to deliver the water to the pressure washer? ( I read somewhere that you can move 60% more water through a 3/4" than through a 5/8".)
Thank you,
Bob
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:46:21 -0700, Bob wrote:

It's only going to use as much water as it can pump. If that goal is reached with a 5/8 hose then no there is no advantage of using a 3/4 hose.
the pump would reach full capacity quicker, that's about it. probably a 1/2 second or so.

May be a little off topic,but I thnk the psi ratings of pressure washers to gauge its "strength" are hogwash. Probably tell you how much pressure there is inside against the piston or something, but I don't think it tells you the important thing you need to know, how fast the water is coming out: could be 50 or 5000 ft/sec - does this make a difference? This spec is never listed anywhere. You tell me. I believe this b/c I bought a max. psi aviable for 15A 110V unit, on sale for about $200 half price, and it sucked, it was little better than a hose, so I immediately took it back and spent closer to a $1000 on a pro unit, with the exact psi, exact 15A 110V, and there is a significant difference, for me. So specs are nothing. Just my 2 cents. Maybe you could rent a bigger hose for 15 miuutes and find out. Or make one with fittings from a hydraulic pneumatic fittings supplier ,using fitting(s) you may want anyway.

-
bent wrote:

Assuming for argument that the spec's were indeed accurate between the two units, there are two things unaddressed that are probably the most important --
Nozzle quality and fan angle(s) and volume flow rate at pressure...
Replace the nozzle on the cheapie w/ that from the expensive unit and I'd say odds are fairly high performance would be markedly better.
never thought about it, but according to "the specs" if I had a rotaty noxzzle that would be 50% better than that again.
However, to say that I didn't give both units a fair chance, ie did not adjust the spray to the optimum, is crazy.
For me, it was primarily to wash a car. There is a lot of kickback to it, like a coin-op wand. For the untrained eye, there may not be that much difference to see, but for me needing the tools of the trade, theres no comparison. What I can do now is wet the car, and rinse it off. I can twist the end of the wand to change the nozzle output to get a little wider but still flat spray pattern. (it also has a pull/push forward/back wand action for remote soap injector - from a hose into a container which also has adjustable flow quantity output.) Then I soap up and hand wash with a wool mitt. Then I can blast the entire width of the car, &/or the entire length, from one side or position, and the entire width of the spray where it meets the car, maybe 10" wide, I can build up a pressure front (a breaking wave) that digs in, and forces out all the soapy residue ahead of it, and flushes it all off the far side and down, sheets evertyhing. No fussing, no cursing, nada. With a wide wave, with enough power to do it effectively from completely one side to another. The cheaper unit would not do that. It may do something, maybe with a pinpoint pattern, but it just sucks compared. ANymore and the paint is in danger. It does a great job elsewhere too btw. Interpump Boxjet Turbo21. 52lbs, 13"x9"x8". Same specs as any/all 110V 15A units anywhere. Not gas (not a noisy beast), and doesn't need a dryer plug (220V), but it does use it ie fuses beware, and no radio or lights at the same time on the same fuse!

-