Pressure washer - no high pressure

Hi all,

I gave my smaller pressure washer to my neighbor (retired now, really cool guy btw), and I brought it over to him and tried to show him how it works. But I could get no high pressure. The model is a DeVilbiss WGV2021-1 2000psi, 2gpm with a B&S 6HP engine.

Water flows through the wand at low pressure. When the engine is on, there is no different in pressure, its just tap pressure. The pump did not freeze over winter as I had it indoors. Last fall it was working fine.

Changed the pump oil. No change. Oil was not low.

Changed the wand from high to low and back several times, no change.

Anything else I can try? Are the pumps simple to disassamble and put back together again? I can get a new pump for $110, but I couldn't charge him for it.

Any tips welcomed. This is the model:

Dean

Reply to
dean

Mine pulled that crap on me and I pressed the trigger on and off a bunch of times and it finally started pumping. You might give that a try before you have someone tear it apart and clean it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How does the trigger feed back to the machine? I mean, I know it does, but I just don't see how. Does the pump need back pressure to go high?

Reply to
dean

There should be a relief valve. It may be stuck.

tnom

Thanks for the parts link!

Is the relief valve in the trigger mechanism?

Reply to
dean

I experienced this with my PW, I changed out the tip of the wand and it worked fine.

We have really hard water, so my guess was calcium deposits in the tip.

-- Oren

Oren

No. It should be on the pump close to the outlet.

Reply to
tnom

I took off the outlet hose, and turned on the machine. The water does not spurt out of the pipe any faster than when the engine is off. Can this still be a wand problem then?

Reply to
dean

Tips from the web:

Low nozzle pressure is a common complaint generally caused by one of the following:

  1. Plugged nozzle tip.
  2. Inlet screen plugged.
  3. Insufficient flow in gallons per minute (not pressure) to the pump.
  4. Unloader valve stuck open due to debris lodged under the check valve ball.
  5. Customer use of shutoff-type quick connectors.
  6. Plugged hose.

-- Oren

Oren

#4 is my guess. It is very common if your water isn't "rain water" clean. Mineral buildup plugs these up pretty fast.

Reply to
gfretwell

I never worked on one, myself. My only problem once was a clogged tip.

I did read that #4 can still stick, even without freezing. Just by sitting for long periods of time.

BTW, what type of fluid is used in these pumps?

-- Oren

Oren

Yes they do. I have got to the point that I shoot a little oil in the pump when I am shutting it down, just so it won't lock up. My water sucks here (SW Fla)

There is motor oil in the pump but not on the "water" side

Reply to
gfretwell

mgee1960 had written this in response to

: I have a gas powered PW that will sometimes not spray at all or sometimes stop spraying as I am using it. Is the unloader valve the deal with the spring & double nut on it? Thanks for any insight or direction where to find detailed information on this topic. Mgee1960

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 347194 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mgee1960

:

There can be many causes for your symptoms, but one common issue I've found is that some people do not understand that many adjustable spray nozzles have two functions - rotate the nozzle to go between a spot and a fan pattern, and also push / pull the nozzle front to back to switch between high pressure spray and low pressure modes. Folks manage to change between the high and low pressure modes when twisting the nozzle and then think it's broken.

Reply to
Pete C.