pressure washer

I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house, drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton, therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

Bought one of these about ten years ago and it still works like new. I only use it about once or twice a year to do my pool deck and driveway. It doesn't heat. More than enough power. It'll take your skin off if you let it.

The one thing I don't like is the soap intake doesn't have a holder. It would be easy to rig something up tho. I think it was about $100.

Reply to
gonjah

I've got experience with buying used (real mess, they all promptly broke and had no warranty).

The one I got at last was a Husky from Home Depot, cause it has metal pump housing. Electric. Does the job for me, and cost about $100.

I agree with what others wrote, metal pump housing. And don't let it get below freezing temp, even if that means put it in the cellar.

I've never had a gasoline power unit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy to find for older units and at what cost.

Reply to
Meanie

Get the model number of the PW and do some searching. Chances are Generac may have parts available. Typically, about the only problem you'll run into is a bad impeller or bearing, both of which should be available - if not direct from Generac, then from their supplier who they may be able to identify for you.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I bought a PW which needed a part, and the combination of part A, and part B, and part C was far more than buy the whole thing new (and get a warranty). Please research before you buy.

OTOH, you might be able to resell the engine and get your fifty back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What kind of pressure washer uses an "impeller"???? They are high pressure PISTON pumps -usually with a swashplate, but some with swiss yoke or crankshaft opperation.

Reply to
clare

Sorry - SCOTCH yoke - not swiss!!!

Reply to
clare

I've got one sitting in the shed needs the outlet "manifold" -an $86 part.

Reply to
clare

Doh! Doesn't matter, the one I made up in my head, uses either one, but not an impeller.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

A couple years ago I bought a power washer from Princess Auto (up here in Canada, Princess Auto is equivalent to your Harbor Freight).

I've wanted a washer for a few years, but I wasn't going to mess around with cheap plastic crap that a lot of people here seem to have (like Karcher).

So this is what I bought:

This is 4000 psi, 4 Gpm.

The one in the picture appears to have a 15 hp engine. Mine is (IIRC)

13 hp. So maybe this is a newer model.

I believe the pump is Rsv4g40 (I'm not sure who makes it - I have a vague impression that it's Italian). The going rate on ebay for just the pump unit is $265:

I paid $1000 for this pressure washer 2 years ago. You can carve your name in concrete with the 0-degree nozzle. I bought a water-blasting attachment (with ceramic or carbide nozzle) and have used it a few times to remove paint from concrete wall (using silica-glass as blasting agent).

Reply to
Ho Me Gu Y

A pressure washer is a great tool to have around the house; a number of job s can be made easier by the use of a pressure washer. Pressure washers come in many different styles and designs, and with varying amounts of power, b ased on the degree of pressure provided by the pump. Knowing which pressure washer to select is essential to getting the machine that accomplish the m ain purpose for which the pressure washer was purchased. There are four typ es of pressure washers, differentiated by how the washer is powered and the basic manner in which the water is delivered. The different types of press ure washers can also be housed in one of several chassis types to facilitat e their use and movement from place to place. Get more information

Albert Mclaren

Meanie-

Expect the engine to need some care, regardless of how it appears to run. If you know how to repair gas engines, then the Generac might be a good choice as a pump learning experience.

I have both Honda-powered and electric-powered pressure washers. The Honda-powered unit is certainly more powerful, but the electric-powered unit is good enough for most uses.

The Honda-Powered unit was purchased at Home Depot for five or six hundred dollars. The electric-powered unit was purchased from Lowes for one hundred dollars.

With a gas engine, you have to worry about changing the oil and the carburetor getting clogged from stale gas. With either kind, you have to worry about the pump being ruined by running it with no water supply.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Electric powered is really handy, you can use it virtually instantly at any time. No finding the gasoline tank is crudded up because you forot to dra in it the last time you used it. Only storage is an electric extension cor d that you can use for other projects as well.

Reply to
hrhofmann