Pressure Washer

Never had one before. So I have a couple of questions.

Is a 1750 psi electric heavy-duty pressure washer sufficient for most cleaning chores such as cleaning a wooden deck to remove the brownish natural stain from cedar wood?

And is the Tackmaster a good and reliable brand?

Thanks.

Reply to
Luckyme

A cleaner is what is really needed like Oxalic Acid on Cedar especialy if its Gray in color. Sherwin Williams deck cleaners main ingrediant is Oxalic acid and has a best rating at Consumer Reports on Cedar, it may also have bleach [Sodium Hypochlorate] also or something similar added. Typicaly a brush is all thats needed and thats how boat owners clean Teak decks, I cleaned quite a few of them. A power washer on cedar without cleaners wont do anything worthwhile. Ace or any hardware store or boat store has Oxalic acid. Dark stains can be mold if any shade is around, household laundry bleach kills mold, Ive used both on my cedar siding, first bleach than acid since im in shade and have mold. 1200 lb is all you need, Cedar is soft and you cant use a Zero degree tip anyway for a deck, you will be to close even with 1200 lb and cut groves in the Cedar. Before powerwashers became cheap people still had clean Cedar and Teak, but with the right cleaners a power washer makes it fun, scrubbing a deck by hand isnt fun. First get a few gallons of bleach, maybe 1 per 75 sq ft and a cheap garden sprayer and see what happens, if there is mold you will see a big difference in 3 minutes. It just dries to salt so you can leave it on to dry and it wont kill plants if it dries on the deck. Then get a machine and cleaner, then oil it with something like Cabots, dont use a water base product, Cedar needs real oil put back in that cleaning removes. I have to use just bleach at least twice a year because of mold everywhere.

Reply to
ransley

I use a small Husky 1550 ($99) psi pressure washer to wash my car. Beats the car wash every time. I'm sure it would wash a deck, does my paved driveway fine. I rented a high powered one one time and it blew the wood out from between the wood grain making a rough surface on my deck. Get those quick-disconnect hose connectors to make for fast hook-up. I keep mine in the basement in the winter, take it out and blast off the salt and mud. Works great.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Thank you all for your great suggestions and comments. I really appreciate it.

For your information, Smitty Two, the model I was talking about is selling for $300. And if you read carefully, instead of trying to put people down, I did mention 1750 psi and that cleaning a wooden deck was only one of the chores I was hoping to do.

Reply to
Luckyme