Pressure Vacuum Cleaner for Whole House

Page 2 of 2
Glenn wrote:

Don't mention that :-)
I'll get my coat.................
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
If you are sufficiently far away from the pressurizing fan, there won't be any perceptible wind at all. The fan will create pressure more than flow. A conventional cleaning vacuum works by a difference in pressure between the room and the catch chamber (the tank of a shop vac perhaps). In the arrangement I'm considering, there still is the difference in pressure, but this time it's between the room and the great outdoors.
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

First real air tight house is not easy to build. If you pressurize I don't think it has to be air tight. Real problem is how big a turbine? Air liners do that.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Nehmo - I haven't done any of the math regarding how large the pressurizing fan should be or what pressure should be achieved. But a rough estimate is possible: To simplify the problem, let's say the house has no vents, no plumbing fixtures, no gas appliances, and the house is of an almost airtight modern construction. I often use a 6.5 amp (120 Volts) shop vac and get respectable results. I imagine using an 11 amp fan (I have one) as the pressuring means would get reasonable results at the pick-up tube.
The next step in something like this is to experiment a bit.
Tony Hwang

Nehmo - Airline cabin pressure can go as low as 75% one atmosphere or equivalant to an altitude of 8,000 feet. http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0206a.shtml The fact isn't relevant. I just found it while looking around and I thought I'd share it:-)
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Possible: Maybe Practical: No way Effective: Barely
Implemented correctly you get: Boy in a bubble, Clean room, Positive pressure
Don't forget, if you run this in winter you will throw away at least two house fulls of heated air you paid for.
Cost effective: not a chance

I don't have a dog in this fight but my shop vac pulls about 40" of water with a nrew bag. That is about 1/10 of an atmosphere or about 1.4 pounds. Not a lot of pressure but I bet it will blow the roof off.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Only if your roof weighs less than 100 tonnes.
gfretwell -

Nehmo - What size motor does your shop vac have?
gfretwell -

Nehmo - Considering the inevitable leaks, it would take an enormous compressing fan to blow the roof off. (Your shop vac turned around wouldn't make that pressure in a house.) I'm thinking of a fan something on the order of 500 watts to 1KW. I'm not sure what pressure differential that would create in a tight house, but I suspect it would be enough to do some cleaning.
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

Interesting thought, but I'm afraid that pressure sufficient to blow dirt out a discharge pipe would blow out the walls or windows of a house.
Something I did that DOES work extremely well was to "pipe" our house with compressed air. I had several quick connect outlets across the house where we could plug in a 50' hose. In addition, I had two 6" outlets that connected to my 5hp shop dust collector in the basement. The vac wasn't one of the portable types, but was a 5hp induction motor vacuum that had two 6" inlets to collect sawdust and sanding dust as I worked. By using a 6" flex hose from one of the two outlets upstairs, it was like a "super" vacuum that moved a LOT of air.
When it was time to do Spring cleaning, for instance, I'd just lay the 6" lines into a room and use the compressed air to blow dust off of our stone fireplace, Ficus tree, bookshelves, library shelves, under beds, and even baseboards. When followed by a good vacuuming of the carpet by a conventional vacuum cleaner, we had great cleaning in a minimal time.
Nehmo Sergheyev writes:

Yes! Like Goldfinger's private jet! Hyperbaric cleaning! You're a genius!

Just how much dust and gas do you have in your house ? I can't see going through all this trouble to remove dust from your house. Unless you have have a 30 MPH wind blowing through the house, the dust is going to settle on everything in the house, which will require dusting anyway.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

I see advantages to this kind of system:
> But what about positioning the motor and fan on the other side of the

Fire places, letter boxes, trickle vents in windows and any openings the builder missed.
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

You must be the only one who does, with the exception of course of those who wish to rob you blind, and by that I mean those who will promise to copyright it, market it and all the associated hangers on who want big fat fees up front, they'll think it's fantastic and tell you that you'll make a million from it, they are just interested in seperating you from your cash.
My advice is ditch it, no one in their right mind would be interested in having it in their home.
And one of the things they will claim is that it's a must for asthmatics, it's not, if anything it will put more dust into a room than it will extract.