Pressure Treated Wood Deck?

Hi,
Just checking if we need to stain or apply any type of preservative to increase the longevity of pressure treated wood? The paint store is saying yes but I'm thinking they may be a bit biased.. :)

Yes.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:00:08 GMT, "Christine Woltag"

To increase the longevity a finish should be applied. Cabot Decking stain is an excellent product (about 6 or so colors)--reapply every 3-4 years.

Yes. And it will look better as well even if you use a clearcoat. I use one of the Behr silicon deck stains. Rated for 6 years (altho I clean and redo about every 3. Its only ~$25!)
I had a PT deck that lasted 25 years without anything more than a couple power-washes (mid-west US, so it saw all kinds of weather), and would have lasted a lot longer but we took it out to add a room. The need to stain or treat is really more for appearance. Untreated it will weather to a gray color, however stained will look good - but take regular maintenance to maintain that appearance.
So I'd say to increase the longevity, any treatment is questionable in its value. To maintain appearance it has value - if you are willing to do the regular maintenance.