pressure treated studs

purchased 6X6 pressure treated (Georgia/Pacific) 12 foot pine studs from Lowes. needed only 9 foot studs so I sawed off 3 feet to discover that pressure treatment only penetrated from 1/4 inch to 2 inches (depending on location). Is this normal? What are the expectations? If this is normal I don't want to press the issue.
This is second time this has happened (last time 2 years ago). Last time GP would do nothing about it, but Lowes made adequate compensation to me albeit it was G/P's fault.
Frank Milledgeville, GA

That is normal. Until you get up into the "salt water treated" levels the treating is skin deep. Most stuff in the "home" type stores is minimally treated. You need to go to a marine supplier to get the real stuff. That is usually overkill for any above ground use though. Just be sure to put the uncut end down.
On Aug 24, 2:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And protect/shield the upper end if exposed to the elements?
There is a treatment you can purchuase at most home centers and coat the cut end of a pressure treated stud or any PT wood, wish I could recall the name, but its a brush on or you can dip the end in a bucket of the stuff, down here it can be found in Sutherlands, dont know of the other big box stores

Yes, this is normal for PT lumber -- which is marketed for outdoor use, not indoor (e.g. as wall studs.) Was it just price or did you have some reason to use outdoor lumber indoors?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

- Was it just price or did you have some reason to use outdoor lumber indoors?
Just curious - what in the OP's post makes you think he's using 6 x 6 PT lumber indoors?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would presume the use of the word "studs", but that they were 6x6's pretty much negates that...
I agree there's no indication whatsoever of what the OP is actually using them for; likely would be for deck support or similar but guess could have a need for a center beam support column in a basement where would like the PT on a concrete pad.
My curiousity was why if only needed a 9-footer would buy 12's instead of 10's given what a 6x6 must be these days... :)

- My curiousity was why if only needed a 9-footer would buy 12's instead - of 10's given what a 6x6 must be these days... :)
Because he'll get one free 9-footer for every three 12-footers he buys. Do the math. ;-)

10's not available in this area

Should be available on 'order' and throwing away 3 ft off each piece will go a long way toward paying any surcharge for special order.
Harry K

In Florida it is code for the bottom plates on monoslab walls, window bucks and in some cases, furring. Moisture and bugs are the issue. I think there are some membrane solutions too but PT is usually an easier option. Back in the CCA days they rated PT lumber by the number of pounds of CCA you put in a cubic foot of lumber. This ranged fron 0.25 CCA for that green washed crap you got at the Home Depot up to 2.65 CCA for heavy duty marine construction. 0.40 was about the practical minimum for anything that will get wet and you want to be around a while. Now they are using a more environmentally friendly poison but the pounds per square foot rating is the same idea. I am just not sure what a good borate number is.
On Aug 25, 12:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

These are ACQ .. not borate. The number on the tag is .40. Looked that number up on great URL given in a previous post and it is ok for my usage, but IMO the penetration of the preservative was not satisfactory. Lowe's agreed and gave me adequate compensation.
Frank wrote:

www.southernpine.com/pressuretreated.shtml

The pressure-treatment only penetrates an inch or so, depending on the process. I'm not surprised many companies have taken cost-cutting measures. You could dip or paint the untreated or cut areas with creosote or other product (as recommended by a Lowe's employee--who knows you might get a second compensation if you are tactful).

Creosote oil/coal tar, since 2004 or before, is a restricted use pesticide due to possible oncogenic & mutagenic effects. It is not available to the general public. However copper naphanate is available at many hardware stores and does a reasonable job.
Red

Here's some more PT info you can get into:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/new-pressure-treated-wood-decks.aspx