Pressure Treated Lumber (PTL)

Is it possible to find out if three year old deck lumber is PTL? Chemical tests would easily do this but I don't have access to this. I need to find out without chemical testing.
Peter.
There should be tags on the lumber.

I removed mine after building the deck, unlike the pillows where it is under penalty of law.
My wife cuts the pillow tags off: I am hourly expecting the Pillow Police at my door. SWIMBO thinks I am nuts.

I cannot think of any way to tell other than the greenish cast that might still show on the bottom of the deck boards. You could knock one of the boards loose and the portion that is in contact with the joists should still be green. Anything that is exposed to sunlight will be the typical gray color. CCA lumber was typically southern yellow pine if you are good at judging lumber species. There is a strong chance that there are lumber stamps still readable on the bottom.
Inquiring minds wonder why you need to know. If the deck is serviceable, why does it matter? ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

If its worth $20 bucks to you check this website out http://www.ewg.org/reports/poisonwoodrivals/orderform.php Results are also used in a university study (double duty for your dollar)
This will only test for the older CCA (with Arsenic) PT woods. They were only phased out last year and some retail stock still exists.
A good review of the topic here http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

On Thu, 11 May 2006 07:31:29 -0400, "PVR"

I can usually tell by looking at it. Or if that is questionable, shave off a slice and examine the freshly cut piece. PT lumber has a very characteristic green color to it, although the shade of green can vary. Also, PT wood sawdust has more of a texture similar to cornmeal--untreated lumber does not and has more of a a furry appearance. Is your deck lumber pine? cypress? redwood? cedar? white oak or teak? If pine, your deck is most likely PTL.