Pressure Regulator

I just ran new copper lines for a small sink, including a water heater. When I turned on the water a small amount came out of the faucet's cold tap, under pressure, then no more came. I took off the faucet's filter before I turned on the water. If I turn off the water, then turn it back on, the same thing happens.

I checked the filter screen in the pressure regulator and it's clean. Is there something going on internally in the PR that could be causing this? As far as I know, there isn't any blockage in the copper lines.

There's nothing else in the system except PR, WH and sink. Oh, there are taps for a washing machine, but no washing machine.

What's going on?

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Most any time I have disturbed a line, and cut it, or reinstalled another valve or whatever, I get crud out of it. Sometimes blue scale, sometimes white, but always get it. IF you have any way to flush the line when it is open, even if you have to shut the water off at the street, do it. Otherwise, the "stuff" can shoot anywhere in the system, and an incredibly small amount can get stuck in even those water flow restrictors in the shower, and surely in any faucet tip screen. You definitely got something stuck somewhere, and I can't see it from here. I'd just start breaking lines here and there and flushing them in a logical manner until you get the crud. Check the pressure regulator, too. I know that may be hard, as it may be hardlined in and not removable. Maybe take a force of water and try blasting it in there through a small tube.

Isn't home repair fun?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds like classic "backwards check valve" to me.

If it was crud/blockage, you'd get some water then nothing more, ever, no matter how many times you turned the water on and off.

Reply to
dennisgauge

matter how many times you turned the water on and off.

try opening each valve even those for the non existent washer and check flow,

if no good flow try moving the pressure adjustment screw on the regulator

Reply to
bob haller

Reply to
JIMMIE

matter how many times you turned the water on and off.

Tend to agree altho would like to know more about what was actually done and where.

It may be coincidental, but pressure regulators _can_ fail (I know, you didn't ask but I'll tell the story anyway.. :) ) A day or two after the youngest daughter was born after having been in the new house only a few months, we have no water. To compound matters, the pressure regulator is not to be found inside the house anywhere or even at the meter opening and the builder wasn't present at the installation and doesn't even remember who the plumber was. To add even more joy, it is raining steadily for two days and no sign of letting up. In order to get water, I cobbled up a bypass w/ a garden hose from the meter to the outside hydrant on that side of the house while starting to dig to find the obstruction. The regulator was buried inline in the trench about 5 ft from the meter for some absolutely unknown reason and it was the culprit having failed shut. Needless to say, it was relocated into a more accessible location...

--

Reply to
dpb

I checked the PR and it's installed correctly, with the IN where it should be and the OUT, not surprisingly, where it should be.

matter how many times you turned the water on and off.

This is a good point. I'm thinking there's something internal to the PR that is hinky. The next thing is to take it out of the system and see if the water flows normally, though at a higher pressure.

I should note that this line, with the PR is only for a small sink, along with a water heater. It comes off of the main line, but it has a separate PR.

I did reuse the old PR when I did the work, but I cleaned scale off of the screen filter inside the PR, and checked it to see if debris was present, and there wasn't any.

Hate to spend the bux for a new one, so might try to take this one apart. Are there repair kits for the internal bits of a PR?

Home repair is fun, and entertaining. I'm surprised I have to spend money on other entertainment.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Am I trying to break something loose, or do you think it's just the pressure that isn't set correctly?

Reply to
Charles Bishop

No check valves in the lines (I ran them myself). Unless the PR has some form of check valve built in and it's failed. I did check the IN and OUT of the PR and it's installed correctly.

Hmmm. Maybe I should double check: Yep, it's ok.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

no matter how many times you turned the water on and off.

I think this is most likely. It's a case of "it was working when I took it out, and now doesn't when I put it back. There was a period of several months between the first and the 2nd event, and it is 20-25 years old now so maybe that's the best reason. If it did fail, I can take it apart to see if I can repair it for future use.

Do you have any stories of pressure regulators you'd like to share?

Reply to
Charles Bishop