Pressure-balancing mixing valves

If I buy a shower mixing valve, can I install it as a tub/shower combo by adding a tub spout with a diverter valve between the valve and the shower riser? Or does it have to have a separate selecter valve? It seems to me like the head pressure up to the shower head would be enough to make it work with just a tub spout diverter.

The one I want (Delta Monitor II) seems to be out-of-production, and there's not a great selection available. I have found some that match my Delta vanity faucet, but they are just shower valves, not tub/shower valves. I also think it would look neater as a 2-handle rather than

3-handles.

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Nevermind. I found the exact shower valve I wanted on ebay with the tub spout and diverter and handles and everything for $50. It even has the right handles to match my sink faucet. :-)

(I'm pretty sure I could have made a shower-only valve work)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob