Presoldered fittings

Just noticed a vast array of presoldered made in china couplings, fittings elbows etc at the local homedespot. Of course the 'helpfull' staff could bearly speak english let alone comment on the new fittings. Anyone got any real life experience with them? Seems that they would be a real bonus for hard to reach areas and close quarters. Cost was bit of factor but who cares about ten bucks one a complete bathroom?????????????

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

hvacthruyouguys

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:sNBse.11401$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

I recently used some of these for hard to reach places as well as general connections. Initially, I did suplement a few connections with solder as it didn't appear to me the connection was soldered properly, but after doing about 10 connections, I was able to get a more consistent bead around the connection which didn't require additional solder.

Reply to
DL

I bought them because I went to HD to get my fittings. My joints were fine; well at least they don't leak. But they don't inspire confidence. The contact area is obviously less then a normal fitting, and I just enjoy seeing the solder drawn in. I haven't used them since.

Reply to
toller

These were featured on This Old House (or mebbe AskTOH) like a week ago, in a little feature on alternative plumbing techniques, so maybe they're enjoying their 15 mins of fame.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

What was wrong with what he said?????????????

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Greetings,

I potentially like them for the following reasons:

1.the inside of the fitting does not need to be cleaned saving time 2.they cost less than the cost of a fitting plus solder 3.the joint is equally as good 4.both sides can be soldered at once 5.they are easier to use in hard to reach places

I potentially don't like them for the following reasons:

1.the inside of the fitting should be cleaned no matter what they say 2.they cost more than the cost of a fitting plus solder when you don't pay HD/Lowes prices for fittings / solder 3.the joint isn't actually equally as good in practice

I definitely don't like them for the following reasons:

1.the shelf space they occupy displaces parts which I do use and need 2.they interfere slightly with glued pipe insulation 3.both sides can be accidentally soldered at once 4.they are proprietary (I believe) and the price may be increased at any time??? 5.they call attention to repairs performed (people don't like seeing patches) 6.they don't have the same variety of parts offered (no reducing T's in sight, etc) 7.I have mad soldering skills under the existing system and I wouldn't want anyone changing my qwerty keyboard layout either

I definitely like them for the following reasons:

1.Homeowners will see that the solder is already in there and declare that now they can do their own plumbing. They will rush home with their sample pack and solder fever determined to go solder something right away!

Hope this helps, William

PS: Home Depot was giving away trial packages of them for free near where I live.

Reply to
William.Deans

So, um, what is your final opinion then?

Reply to
dean

My final opinion on their existence: I wish they didn't exist because of the "other product displacement issue."

My final opinion on using them (since they do exist): I won't pay extra for them (I get standard copper fittings / solder cheaper than HD prices elsewhere). I don't use them-- even for tight spaces. I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

To be clear: I don't hate or despise them. If everyone else switched I wouldn't "hold out." I just don't see much actual time savings for someone experienced with soldering and therefore I won't pay extra for them.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

I've seen some (in the UK) where the solder visible creaps to the edge of the fitting, so that you can see the seal. Now that was a nice system, much better then the crappy US fittings.

Reply to
dean