preserving molding joists in moist basement

Greetings,

I have a moist basement which has caused the joists (sistered 2x8s) to mold and start to decay. The floor is still sound but I imagine the joists will have to be sistered again in a number of years if this is allowed to continue. What can I do to solve this problem? Is there something (low cost?) that I can treat (spray?) the wood with?

Thanks, William

PS: no dehumidifier solutions please

Reply to
William.Deans

First you need to kill the living mold and bleach will probably do the job then you can treat it with any preservative rated for outdoor use. If the moisture is really bad you might even want to paint the surface with an outdoor primer and paint. Use one with a fungicide built in. Read the preservative instructions carefully and check for more info online, you may be able to skip the precleaning step if the mold is not too bad.

You may not be able to "Sister" more joists onto rotten wood, a future repair may require some demolition first.

Reply to
PipeDown

Bleach will kill it, but if you have moisture there, it will be back. You need to eliminate the moisture.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

.
Reply to
G Henslee

Mr. Meehan is IMHO correct. I would not paint the wood. Wood holds a lot of moisture for a long time, particularly in damp environments. Painting might seal in reisdual moisture with mold spores. Preservatives that penetrate the wood would be helpful in slowing deterioration.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Greetings,

Thank you all for your comments. It appears that "Preservatives that penetrate" are generally well liked but that there is a mixed reaction to painting with an anti-molding paint. Can anyone suggest a good penetrating preservative? Does anyone have any answers on paints ability to prevent or cause rot?

Thanks, William

Reply to
William.Deans